Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoke comign from shifter !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005 | 11:17 AM
Royalty
Banned

Exclamation smoke comign from shifter !!!!!!

I'll just use this pic as a reference.

In place of the stock **** i have a momo **** and i have my boot tucked down. When i get on it in 3rd or 4th i'lll get a some smoke from out of there. It doenst last long but long enough for me and my passenger to notice. and like most of my smoek related issue it only happens when i get on it..

Help
Old 08-23-2005 | 11:33 AM
Andre
Burning Brakes

i would have to assume its coming from your engine and the wind is bringing it into the **** area...maybe hardcore oil leak is burning off the exhaust?
Old 08-23-2005 | 11:34 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Leaking cat probably. The cat has a tendency to crack at the front on the pipe just before it goes into the cat.

You are missing the rubber boot under the shift boot i assume?
Old 08-23-2005 | 11:36 AM
Andre
Burning Brakes

If the cat was cracked, it would get real loud wouldn't it?
Old 08-23-2005 | 11:37 AM
Royalty
Banned

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Leaking cat probably. The cat has a tendency to crack at the front on the pipe just before it goes into the cat.

You are missing the rubber boot under the shift boot i assume?

i have it. hmm maybe the cat. time to put on the euro xhaust

Old 08-23-2005 | 11:38 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Do you have a buzzing at all in your exhaust, any resonation? Or, does it just sound a little louder than it should.. jack it up, and when everything is cool, run it and reach under and feel all around the exhaust,especially near the shifter area. You should feel a leak pretty obvious if there is one, as well as hear it.
Old 08-23-2005 | 11:39 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Drive slower :-)
Old 08-23-2005 | 11:40 AM
Royalty
Banned

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Do you have a buzzing at all in your exhaust, any resonation? Or, does it just sound a little louder than it should.. jack it up, and when everything is cool, run it and reach under and feel all around the exhaust,especially near the shifter area. You should feel a leak pretty obvious if there is one, as well as hear it.
will do

Drive slower :-)
nevar
Old 08-23-2005 | 11:47 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Mine did the same thing, I had a threaded piece that was behind the o2 sensor and was open at the top! It was just letting exhaust come through. I think that's where my leak was coming from, but then again we fixed that when my exhaust broke in front of the cat. So there might have been a bigger leak before.
Old 08-23-2005 | 11:59 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

What CD is that in the BIN? LOL

Does the smoke have a distinctive color or odor?

The gearing phenomena is most likely attributable to the air coming under the vehicle at speed, pushing "the smoke" into the cabin. If you don't have any noticeable pitch/tone changes in your exhaust system, or hear any "pfft pfft pfft" around the cat, you are probably burning off oil. Does it happen all the time or just at first run up? Does it smoke if you fire it and let it idle?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 08-23-2005 | 12:07 PM
Royalty
Banned

Originally Posted by 75ohm
What CD is that in the BIN?
LOL I dunno i just used teh pic as a reference. Threads are much easier with pics I have an 84

Does the smoke have a distinctive color or odor?
Its smells like a lil oil + normal xhaust smell. its grey

The gearing phenomena is most likely attributable to the air coming under the vehicle at speed, pushing "the smoke" into the cabin.
i think ur right about that

If you don't have any noticeable pitch/tone changes in your exhaust system, or hear any "pfft pfft pfft" around the cat, you are probably burning off oil.
Its funny, I will get on it and the will hesitate in teh upper rpms. I havnet been listening to teh cat, it kinda gets drowned out by the song of the engine. I'll try and listen next time.

Does it happen all the time or just at first run up?
i'll have to say only wheni run it up in rpms, SOMETIMES the start up will seem a lil hesitant but in a second it smooths out.

Does it smoke if you fire it and let it idle?
no not at all

Inquiring minds want to know!
Me too!
Old 08-23-2005 | 12:26 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Hey Royalty,

check the rear cam seal on your car. Stick your fingers back there when the engine is cold (unless you want to burn off some of your fingerprints) Also look at the cam cover gasket. Do you see any leakage or oil sludge? front and rear cam seals as well as the valve cover gaskets are prone to leak on these cars causing oil to drop on the rear part of the exhaust manifold (if rear cam seal leak) or dribble down the front exhaust manifold pipe (front cam seal or valve cover gasket).

Start it up and let it idle, if you see smoke coming from one spot of the motor, try and get a mirror under it when you shut it off to see where it's smoldering. I had your EXACT same problem by the way. It turned out to be a leaky cam cover (if I say valve cover, same difference) gasket

BTW, that lion animation looks famliar in your avatar...I think it's from a video game but can't remember what one.
Old 08-23-2005 | 12:44 PM
Royalty
Banned

/\ i'll give that a shot. oh to repalce the cam cover gasket dont i ahve to take off the timign tbelt?

I just found the lion somewhere and fell in love with him.
Old 08-23-2005 | 12:54 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

You actually do need to take the timing belt cover off. Here's a trick my mechanic did, it's risky, very risky but it worked. He rotated the crank shaft to top dead center and installed a flywheel lock before he pulled the entire cam cover housing off (the camshaft inserts inside the cam cover). When finished he slid the timing belt back over the cam. To my knowledge this is the fastest way to do it and I don't recommend it. However, when it was done on mine the tension did not change.

Again, it's not hard to pull the valve covers and check the tension/retension the belt after putting the covers back on. This step could also help you discover you may need a timing belt and/or some rollers. Let us know what happens Royalty. Good Luck.

Old 08-23-2005 | 12:59 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

na you dont have to take the timing belt off. Its a crappy cork seal though, thats why it keeps leaking. Took it off, sanded it flat and used a rubber seal. Just beacuse i dont want to come back to it, the cork dries out with the heating and cooling and dies quickly.

Quick Reply: smoke comign from shifter !!!!!!