Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Accident!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005 | 02:05 PM
stefon
Instructor

erf !

i am sorry to you
Old 08-19-2005 | 02:43 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hope this makes you feel better. Same thing happened to me here in Ohio. Although my damage was a bit worse and the other driver had SAFE AUTO for insurance. The repairs came out to just under 5k and not once was there talk about totaling my car. The repairs even ended up going past the original quote and they cut a second check to cover that. I was also able to take it to the repair shop of my choice. Just stick to your guns. Also check your tires for wear caused by the accident. I got two new tires out of the deal.

Old 08-19-2005 | 03:31 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott M.
I don't see a problem with having to use one of Progressives llisted repair shops. With the way Insurance companies 'rate' their star facilities, you are most llikely assured a decent job, with a satisfaction guarrantee. Main reason they contract with shops is to control rampant overcharging by body shops. Just make sure the shop is reputable. Always look at their previous work---ask to see prior jobs.

Also, never allow the offenders insurance co. have the upper hand. You are in the drivers seat. If they offer X amount, multiply it by 33% minimum.
Agreed on all points.

I have had extremely good experiences with Progressive's "certified" facilities through two very extensive break-in/theft claims on a previous vehicles. Like Scott said, they work with certain shops to control the overpayment issue. They know these places won't rip them off, do all the work necessary competently, and get people back on the road with all the paperwork filed correctly. State Farm has a similiar program...I'm guessing a lot of them do.

In short, I'm a satisfied Progessive customer.

However, on my claims were thefts, so they were working for their own customer. Getting an estimate from a certified Porsche center is a great way to hedge your bets with Progressive. In my mind, they'd have to fix everything that Porsche says is required - period, accept nothing less. Having that estimate (even if you have to pay for it) seems like a good way to check up on them.

Sorry about the car...but at the end of this, she'll be good as new!
Old 08-19-2005 | 03:54 PM
nineeagles
Pro

last summer I got hit by a big deer and had similar damage (except it was the front fender)....dents in fender, door caved in, drivers window, windshield....insurance gave me $6,400 to repair it. Wrote me a check the very next day....
Old 08-19-2005 | 04:23 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

WOW!! Thanks for all the posts, does make me feel better. Well, dropped the car off to Stoddard to get the est. Progressive sends out there adjuster to look it over and they come to an agreement over it. I talked to the head of the body shop guy (in business for over 25 years himself on Porsche and Audi's) and he told me not even close to totaling it. That just makes me feel SO GOOD!!! I also got a rental from Enterprise at Progressive's expence and they didn't have a lower end car so they had to upgrade me 3 different levels into a new Mit. SUV that is nice. No Porsche but still nice for around town. Overall, everything is looking on the up and up!! I will find out by the end of today what exactly is going to happen, what we will settle on. I pointed out some of the little stuff to Jeff (at Stoddard) plus mention how much money I have into this car, WELL over $5,000 within two years of ownership plus the price of the car. He said that was good to fight them if they want to try and be shady. The shop I am going to I have only hear good things about, so I am positive about that. All I can say about Progressive so far is that they REALLY keep on top of the customer to keep them updated, in the loop of what is going on plus going to happen and kind in everyway. I will post up later today with the final word on what is going to happen.

Oh yea, you saw the before pictures, I will take after pictures to show the work plus after a 2-3 week turn around, it will seem all brand new to me then!!!
Old 08-19-2005 | 04:31 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

sounds like you're in the clear Mike. Nice work!!!

Can't wait to see the afters!
Old 08-19-2005 | 04:40 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

OK!!! Just heard back from Progressive, sounds like $1,700 in damage to the car and it should be ready on the 31st. They think they can keep the 1/4 panel, replace the door and paint those. So, we shall see within the next few weeks!!
Old 08-19-2005 | 05:14 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

That just really sucks, glad to hear that you're physicaly ok. Tell me, did she at least apologize. I remeber when my camaro got wrecked, the guy was just a total and complete *** hole about it.
Old 08-19-2005 | 05:26 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Sorry??.. Nope, never hear those words. But when you are on the accident scene you should only check to make sure the other person is fine, you shouldn't talk to them because that can be a total mess later, into a "He said/she said" type of thing.
Old 08-19-2005 | 07:36 PM
Spider
Instructor

That just sucks! Glad you weren't hurt.
Old 08-19-2005 | 08:36 PM
AZS2
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike1982
Sorry??.. Nope, never hear those words. But when you are on the accident scene you should only check to make sure the other person is fine, you shouldn't talk to them because that can be a total mess later, into a "He said/she said" type of thing.
Definitely, don't appologize if you caused the accident. Just offer your insurance and try to keep the cops out of it.
Old 08-19-2005 | 08:49 PM
azmi951
Drifting

I'm sorry to hear of your problems and have some helpful advice. I had a person rear end me at a red light in June. I took it to the shop that repaired my Chevelle even though it is not a "recomended shop." I told the shop manager that did the estimate "Dont let this get totaled." It didnt get totaled even with a $5400.00 final bill. When I went into the shop for the estimate I showed him exactly the things to be replaced and where to get parts. He let me use the money ($1700) for stock exhaust (mine was bent) to buy the full boat SFR setup. Dont let them walk on you and make sure to take it to the place you want. Be involved in the repair so you know what is happening even with a good reputable shop. It will turn out ok
Old 08-23-2005 | 05:37 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Awww, this sucks. I'm glad you are the right track for the fix. I'm amazed they are going to fix it all up and get the paint to match for that price! I'm glad you ended up with Stoddards, I hear they do great work.
Old 08-23-2005 | 05:51 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

That is what Tony K said. I am not getting a full paint job, door and rear 1/4 panel plus they are using the old door inside so the interior still matches up in color and wear (which I am HAPPY about). The day after this happened I was suppose to meet up with Manning, Alex and Mike (new guy on here). So, I had to take the beater to go meet up the next day. They got me into a rental on Friday until my car is done, so until then I am drive a 2005 Mitsubishi Endeaver (SUV) until my car is done. Firgures too, this happens after I get my Vitesse MAF kit in and the SMT-6 (piggyback) put in HOURS before!!!! It is QUICK with this upgrade, wouldn't mind running your 951 S Dan sometime to see how it compares.
Old 08-23-2005 | 06:07 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Wow Mike that's a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. Good thing too! Hang in there you'll be back on the road in no time!

Quick Reply: Car Accident!!