Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Universal O2 -proper heat shrink application?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 12:11 PM
chregan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal O2 -proper heat shrink application?

I'm replacing the Oxygen sensor on my '83 na with the universal Bosch model because it's so much cheaper than the version with the connector. It's a one wire sensor.
Since the sensor gets its reference O2 level from the wire, how do I make sure I don't seal it up and still keep water/salt out? Bosch's directions are useless.
Here's what I'm working with:
The new sensor has a crimp connector and a bit of exposed metal before the "insulation" starts. The existing wire presumeably has two layers of "insulation" or "shield". I haven't verified this since I'm still driving the car. What do I have to cut away and should I heat shrink everything or leave part of it exposed to the elements? I'm assuming that the shrink tubing will keep air out of whatever it covers or am I mistaken?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:03 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I remember correctly, the new sensor will have a loose piece of heat shrink that you will use over the crimp.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:43 PM
chregan
Intermediate

It did come with a few pieces of heat shrink tubing. So, it should be loose enough to allow air to pass through?
Or do I have to place the tubing in a certain way to not block anything off?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:43 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nothing speacial about it. Just put it over the crimp and apply heat.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:42 PM
chregan
Intermediate

That was a tough sucka to get out. Finally gave up and brought it to a mechanic. I'm not one to let others work on my cars but without a lift and proper torch, it wasn't going to come out. I figured if they snapped the bung off, they could reweld it whereas I'd have a dead car in my garage.
I shattered a socket extension trying to get it off. Might have been the original 1983 sensor.
A lot of heat and liquid wrench later, the new sensor is in. Seems to be working well. Hopefully the heat shrink won't interfere with the readings. I know it shouldn't but I wish Bosch would have written clear instructions.

Now to get an emissions retest...
Old 08-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too late now, but if you need to do remove it again, the trick is to do it on hot exhaust.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:36 PM
chregan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stan944
Too late now, but if you need to do remove it again, the trick is to do it on hot exhaust.
I tried that. Got it really nice and hot and only succeeded in making my tools warm. Having a lift where you can maneuver and get some leverage would have made all the difference. The oxygen torch they used instead of my propane one gets things hotter too.

Quick Reply: Universal O2 -proper heat shrink application?