Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update -- KLA strut mount install successful -- tips and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 04:56 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update -- KLA strut mount install successful -- tips and thoughts

As usual, with more than a bit of help from the list, I pulled through this job with success. I both replaced my original upper strut mounts with the KLA monoballs and replaced my 25.5/18 swaybar setup with 26.8/19mm M030 bars and new bushings. Thanks again to AndyK, who stopped by and gave me a hand!

A few thoughts on the result:

1. The KLAs look much better than the stock mounts when you open the hood

2. I didn't really notice any additional noise/vibration/harshness vs. the stock mounts during my drive from central Jersey through staten island and on the BQE. This drive covers all sorts of surfaces, none of which are in great shape.

3. The stiffer sway bars had no obvious effect on ride quality either, even with the delrin inner bushings on the front (which did not make any noise, either)

4. I can't really speak to any handling benefit yet, as I haven't gotten the car realigned. It felt great driving home, but it's too soon to say how much this upgrade helps. My original mounts were not too bad -- the driver's side was OK, but the passenger's side was clearly shot once removed.

A few tips/thoughts on the job:

1. Not too bad a job, but definitely requires some patience and it helps to have an extra pair of hands when installing and removing the struts

2. Removing the nut on top of the strut definitely requires either an extremely funky wrench or an air driven impact wrench. I ended up paying $20 to a local garage to have them removed

3. I rented a strut compressor from Autozone -- it worked fine and was pretty straightforward. I haven't returned it yet, but I believe that the rental is actually free

4. Having a 10mm crow's foot wrench is very helpful when bolting the strut mounts to the fenders. Some of those bolt heads are very tough to reach otherwise

5. Marking the alignment with nail polish and resetting it after the job was easy and totally adequate to make the car driveable. I wouldn't leave it this way for long, but its not apparent that its off when driving around on the street/highway.

6. It is indeed possible to install the front swaybar upside down. Everything bolts up nicely, but the tie rods end up perilessly close to the sway (or touching it), leaving you scratching your head when you look at the finished product. Don't ask me how I know.

Last edited by KLR; 08-16-2005 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah dont you just love driving on the BQE? Its always an adventure dodging cabbies and swirving around the potholes that can eat a car whole. If you want even more of a challenge, i like the Jackie Robinson, especially in the rain. Now that is what NYC driving is all about!

Glad to see you got everything put together. I totally agree they look much better when opening the hood up. I was lucky to have a complete set of coil overs sent to me, didnt require spring comrpessors or anything. Infact i still have the originals in my basement ready to go back on the car if i ever decide to take this stuff off. Did you end up using those washers on both sides of the bearing? Looking at the spare parts bag...i only used them on the top one i see.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You forgot to post pictures of your triumph!..no not the bike or car
Old 08-16-2005, 07:36 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

I did indeed use the washers on the bottom and top.

Pictures. Hmm... that would have been a good idea. Here's a decent recreation of what it looked like when I pulled out of the garage afterward. I'll have to go snap some photos under the hood this weekend.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2005, 01:02 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

How did the car handle with the 25.5 and 18 setup, what springs. My car seems tail happy with that, but my struts are toast also, I hope they balance it out.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:12 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

I had stock springs and torsion bars with fairly new koni yellows and 225/50s all around on stock phone dials. I would say that the car was very well balanced -- if it had any bias, it was to slight oversteer.

Quick Reply: Update -- KLA strut mount install successful -- tips and thoughts