Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent -- KLA upper strut mount install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 05:20 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Urgent -- KLA upper strut mount install question

They give you two large washers per side. Clearly, one goes on top of the bearing beneath the big retaining nut on top of the strut. Does the other go beneath the bearing but above the black upper spring perch? This makes sense, but I want to make sure that I'm not elevating the works more than necessary and shortchanging the strut surface to bearing surface relationship.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally did one washer on each side of the strut bearing. You are talking about the washers shown in the picture on the product page right...?

http://www.klaindustries.net/strtmnt/strtmnt.htm

I accidentally used two larger 'fender' type washers on the top side. They worked loose over about 500 miles. I was wondering what that 'clanking' sound was...!
Old 08-13-2005, 08:17 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I'm talking about the four big ones in the middle. Paragon has a writeup on installing their camber plates that says that you must use the bottom washer and the top is optional, so I used both since the sperical bearings in the KLA mounts are essentially identical to the paragon bearings. From testing the stock mount and the kla side by side, I'm pretty sure that this leaves it at the same ride height as stock.

How do you like the KLAs? I'm eager to drive the car. My left stock mount was OK, but the right one was clearly shot when I took them out.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Both of the original mounts on my car were in good shape. I changed the entire strut assembly to Koni struts, 200lb springs and the ride height sleeves all at the same time...so honestly im not sure what type of difference they made to the feel of the car. All i know is the car drives great now. Though i still need to work on finding that 'perfect' setting for autocross.

Quick Reply: Urgent -- KLA upper strut mount install question