Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp and thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:27 AM
phil74501
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp and thermostat question

I have noticed that when I am in traffic, or driving through town, that the temp gauge rises pretty high. It may be a normal thing. I'm still new to 944's. The temp will rise to the the bar just below the red zone when I am stopped at a light. Is that normal? Would a better thermostat help? I'm not even sure what kind is in it. Thanks for any help
Old 08-05-2005, 09:38 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Is the cooling fan coming on? Got the A/C running?
Old 08-05-2005, 10:12 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phil74501
The temp will rise to the the bar just below the red zone when I am stopped at a light. Is that normal? Would a better thermostat help? I'm not even sure what kind is in it. Thanks for any help
That is too hot, with a daily 110+F here and traffic, it sits on second white mark (80C) or just above that, even with ac on.

Bleed the system first, and yes check and see if the fans are coming on. There is a lower thermoswitch (for the fans) rated at 85C and a lower T-stat (rated 80C) you can consider for 'upgrading'.

Again, bleed the air first and take it from there.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:01 PM
ljibis
Instructor

My '86 n/a behaves pretty much the same way...after a lot of driving in hot weather traffic it will touch the top white bar, the fans will come on strong, and the temp will go back down. It goes up and down all day.

I asked a similiar question a month or so ago and was told it's probably pretty normal. My mechanics (AutoEdge in Mahtomedi, MN - as close to experts on 944's as you can get) say it's pretty typical, as well, and told me not to worry.

By the way, my system is fully bled and has a new thermostat. I had the cooling system powerflushed and bled at AutoEdge when I bought it, so the coolant is fresh. I hate any thought of my car running hot, so I might go for the modifications that hosrom recommended above, but again, my mechanics told me not to worry.

A few tricks:
1. I've found it helps to be running the right grade of oil for the season, per the owner's manual. Forget 10W-30...I think I'm using 15 or 20W-50 Mobil 1 right now (or whatever higher weight oil the manual says to use).

2. Also, if you're going through the cooling system I highly recommend you go to a place that has one of those pumps that flush fresh coolant through the whole system. They can truly replace all the coolant, whereas if you do it yourself you only get part of it. It's great to see all the gunk coming out of the radiator and engine...

3. Make sure you use the right coolant, and use distilled water if you're mixing it.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:08 PM
phil74501
Racer

I'm pretty sure the fan is coming on. When I turn the car off I hear it running. So i assume it's on while driving. And no AC. It's not charged so I just use the vents. I usually put it in neutral and rev the engine up a bit. That makes it go back down. It just worries me that it's running to hot and might overhear if I sit still too long.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:21 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

How is the timing belt?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:09 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Neutral and revving bringing it back down can be a sign of several things, the easiest of which to fix is an airbubble in the system. After that, things get scarier like a loose belt, worn belt, or failing pump. Bleed it first and several times. Might as well put new coolant in if its old?

The gauges in these cars are not like the domestic gauges were a 400 degree change is needed before the needle moves. These gauges will tell you whats up, so theyll move a lot more than most are used to. We just have to sort out the normal from the abnormal

For bleeding read this
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/cool-02.htm
Old 08-05-2005, 01:36 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

This is normal, normal, normal.

You don't say what year your car is, so I'll assume it's the later one (85.5 and up). The last white line is 90C which is when the fans are desigened to come on in low speed. If it reaches the red 100C, then they come on at high speed. Just check that both your fans are running.

As to the temp going down when you rev the engine, that is unusual. Like the other post says, check that your system is bled properly. Otherwise you may a radiator that is beginning to clog up.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:55 PM
phil74501
Racer

The timing chain and tension belts should have around 5k on them. The PO changed all of the pumps and all the fluids on the thing. Including the water pump. The radiator I assume is the original. Don't know about the belts. And it's an 85.5.

Quick Reply: Temp and thermostat question