Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Clutch Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Tom Lawson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 Clutch Questions

Hello,

I have a 1987 951 with 70,000 miles. I am the third owner. The first owner changed the clutch at 28,000. Two days ago I began having trouble shifting into first and second (requiring more oomph) and the following day difficulty shifting into reverse. I had my local mechanic check it out and he stated with the clutch pedal giving good resistance the hydraulic system is not the problem but rather the rubber disk is deterioating and not releasing and must be replaced.

I would appreciate advice from those of you who are familar with the 951.

Does this advice seem correct, anything else could do this?

What is a fair price to replace the clutch?

Are there more than one type of cliutch for the 951 to chose from and which would be best?

Where is the best price for the parts?

Should any other maintenance be done while the clutch is being replaced?

I drive this car carefully never hard, 42,000 mile for a clutch seems to be premature, does anyone have any ideas what would cause a clutch to wear out so quickly with the car driven normally?

Thank you all for your advice and help

Best Wishes
Old 08-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Tom,

1) 42K miles is a bit early, but depending on the use the car has had and how well the clutch was replaced at 28K, it may have failed prematurely.

2) This is not a trivial job. I just had the clutch replaced on my 951 and besides being a 16 hour procedure according to the workshop manual, there are a whole slew of "while you're in there" parts that can spell the difference between a long lasting replacement clutch and one that is prone to fail prematurely, as seems to have been the case here.

Budget around $500-$600 for a clutch kit, plus another $200 or so in odds and ends parts that might need replacing or are best just replaced anyway.

3) A 951 should not have a rubber centered clutch. AFAIK, all 951 cars have spring centered units.

4) There are several clutch options. Many people recommend the Cup version with less springs for greater longevity. Unless you have a 400HP monster, I would go with the stock configuration for your 951 model year. The number of springs is inversely proportional to the amount of vibration you'll get from the new clutch: more springs, less vibration.

5) Most important maintenance while having the clutch replaced is making sure the flywheel is resurfaced by a competent machine shop. It also wouldn't hurt to flush the clutch hydraulics (master cylinder and slave).

Lastly, when you have it done you're going to really love the difference in how the car drives!
Old 08-05-2005, 02:29 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everything Luis has stated but have a few minor changes. I just did my clutch a few weeks ago.

2.) On a 87 you might have a 1peice cross over pipe, which dramatically increases the time it takes to do the job. Its pro-rated at 22hrs. Replace the following: Rear Main Seal, Pilot bearing and all fluids while doing the job. Even rear diff/tranny fluid. (Clutch kit should come with perssure plate, clutch disc and Throw out bearing) If you do have a 1peice cross pipe you will also need Intake manifold gaskets as it will have to be removed.

4.) I would go with at least a Cup clutch, yes its a little stronger and has less springs, the main point in getting a cup clutch is to removed the smaller springs that fail. These are prone to falling out and getting caught between the PP and clutch disc. Which will put a stink in your business.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM, i literally just finished the job so i know whats entailed.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:03 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Evidently some 951 clutches are prone to infant mortality. I have seen several posts where clutches were replaced within 20k of initial purchase. Mine (1986 951) was replaced at 18k and again at 108k. The second was a cup clutch and I would absolutely recommend it. This is an expen$ive job and you don't want to do it any more often than necessary. The cup clutch is not uncomfortable or noisy.

I replaced the release fork with the clutch, and since then I have had replaced two slave cylinders (117k and 194k) and a master cylinder at 195k. When I had the clutch put in they wanted to replace the torque tube. I never understood that, and didn't do it.

Quick Reply: 951 Clutch Questions