Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Ricer gets a 944 series...this time, it's PERSONAL

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005 | 02:39 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

man i just keep seeing more and more i need to reply to. yes i was suprised with the loss of 30 hp when i installed the exhaust bypass, not my freaking shop teacher hasn't told me why it did that, but i do know that it has to do with the vaccume in the exhaust. what i should have done (if i had more $) was to buy an aftermarket exhaust manifold, then a cat delete pipe and then to keep my original exhaust because it had recently been replaced. the vaccume i believe (correct me if i'm wrong) that is created by the muffler to create a little back pressure which then sucks out the exhaust from the engine instead of just letting it rush out or w/e, i believe that was what was happening. i would actually like to know more, so please dont hessitate to say something.

also about the top speed, yes u retarded people (i mean that lightly) ur car does have a govener, but does not govern the top speed, but rather how many rpm's ur ur using, sooooooo with the govener at 6000rpm's in 5th gear (i dont know why u keep saying 5k, it redlines far after that...) the car goes 137mph (i have not tested this, the fastest i have gone is 120mph in the 924, yet again, i like my car and am not harsh on it, besides the drag strip, which i will say again, the car is no longer attending such events), so if u repleace the chip with an aftermarket one that lets it have more rpm's the car will go :drum roll: faster.... and since i have not tested it, it is expected that it should go somewhere from 140-150 that was my guess. i love the trany on my 944 though, because in fith at 3k i'm at 80 mph and in the 24 i'm only at 60mph. oh and also serge is right, redlining at 5th gear, is much much much different and harder on the engine that redlining at 2nd, i mean just think u had to have the peddle to the metal for it to redline in 5th!!!! these cars dont have a lot of hp, it takes quite a little bit!

when u say we did a lot of soddering on the car, what do u mean? there was one instance of soddering with the air cone filter, but that didn't even hold, i think u mean welding. much much different

also 137 w/o nitrous was rwhp, AND do you know what that leaves me to believe? #1 yes ur wheeles are heavier, but more importantly #2 my engine is in much better shape, which means it hasn't been redlining quite as much as every1 elses, which means, who's nicer to ther car.....? DUH Duh duh...... oh and also i was happy with those last hp/tq numbers of 168hp and 200lbs of torque, but not satisfied, as u know the car ran lean, and the fuel pressure line came off and the nozzle wasn't big enough. also we had lost 30 hp with the bypass, well the bypass was closed but its not a complete seal, not to mention its loud as hell open/closed, so we were still loosing an insain amount of hp, so those hp/tq numbers are higher, say anywhere from 15-25 more hp. sounds nice eh?

as to if i'm running the right plugs and timing, well the car does have bosche 2 prong performance plugs, but maybe u mean somehting a little more fine tuned, as to the timing, this is one thing that i HAVE delayed on, and that i do feel bad about, and it is my fault, but it will get done, and yet again, i'm not using nos any more anyways, oh and btw when i first got the bottle and filled it up, i have yet to refill it, this is some testiment to the frequency of its use!

now about those of u who think the car will blow up with the use of nos, i bought a ZEX kit for this very reason! its tied into the fp line and moniters it, so when it starts shooting nos, its making the fpr send more fuel as well. and well i didn't replace the fuel pump but i did replace the fuel filter to help out with this.

also to the cost of the dyno, it was a set price, u paid $70, and u got 3 runs, this seemed like a good deal, and it really helped me out.

also this is probably the cleanest 924 944 out there, no rust, underbody is so great (i look under my 944, and just dont know where to beggin. lol) engine is well maintained, washed and waxed too many times, although the ONLY thing this car needes is a paint job. no oil deposits anywhere, interior is immaculate, besides the cracked dash... and everything is in perfect working condition. can any of u say that? (unless of course u are rolling in money) yeah i know ur hatch release doesnt work! or ur headlight or windshield washer motor is getting weak! have a cracked windshield? the brights on ur left headlight is burnt out? i thought so! i really take care of my car. then again i am young and this is my first car...

to tell you the truth. the gritty down to earth truth, i do not 100% know if this car has the club sport option, yeah i know, i figured that it was because of this guy

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/471183

he states that his is the sport version, and when i took a closer look, he does only have one side mirror and it matches mine as the club sport version as well a the rear clad as you call it. as to the trany, i will take pictures if u would like and send post them. also if you want to give me $100k for the car, i'd be obliged to hand it over, then i'll by a 911 turbo and never bother you again, except on the track.

also about the clutch, this isn't the original clutch, so it doesn't have the notorious crappy rubber in the center

also i have been working on getting a fuel pressure gaudge, a nitrous gadge and a fuel/air gaudge. that would seem to cover the bases and keep me safe. but no money now, it'll have to wait

(here i deleted what i had to say about porsche-o-phile lol oh and i never bragged to anyone, so dont be hatting the mods!)

So thanks to the cool guys here at rennlist, you make it awesome, and to all the others. why not sell ur car?

Last edited by mavfan; 08-06-2005 at 03:10 AM. Reason: justified name calling lol
Old 08-06-2005 | 02:47 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

mavfan, calm down just a little bit. Okay?

. . . .and please edit your post for the language and name calling (or I will do it for you) !!
Old 08-06-2005 | 02:55 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Mavfan, just for your education, that's not a gov. that's a revlimiter. These cars are not "top speed limited" like most modern cars, they are mearly limited to how much power they have, gearing, and where that power is located. If you get a set of chips with a higher revlimiter you may go a mph or two faster, but the 924 does not make crazy power in the upper RPM range, so I would doubt you could go faster. But one of the 924 pros on here may want to correct me.

[Edit] Oh yes, and I SERIOUSLY doubt you're losing 15-20whp. That's like claiming an exhaust is 10hp, and an intake is 5hp, and now you're making an additional 15hp! It doesnt work that way.
Old 08-06-2005 | 02:57 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Mav,
Welcome to the 'list. I too frowned upon the stuff you did to your car, but i don't blame you for trying! I frowned upon the NOS, but after seeing what HP gains are avaliable to it i can't blame the NA guys for doing it. (Speaking of Fishey's S2, 183rwhp w/out nos, 230rwhp w/50shot nos).

At any rate, don't burn your bridges, alot of these guys know what they are talking about with the 9xx series cars. I don't blame you for beign angry, but take it easy bud.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:01 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

about your exhaust question. the exhaust has "back pressure" but the real impotance is in the waves and resonance tuning. yes...resonace tuning isnt just at the intake side. witht he intake you want the resonacne to hit the valve and shove air int he cylinder. opposite with exhaust. when that exhaust valve opens you want a negative pressure wave to be right there and help suck out allt he exhaust air PLUS help pull in the intake charge. thats why there is a kick at about 3-3.5k on these cars. thats where all porsches tuning comes into play.

fun stuff. the opening in the exhaust probably really fudged up the pulses.
also. i dont quite know the formulas. but the waves are made when one positive wave goes down and exits the exhaust. which the now negativ pressure in the tubign sucks a positive one right back up it. bounces back...and repeats.

i beleive i have quoted all my books correctly. if any uber engine guru sees i missed or said something worng. please enlgihten me.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:03 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

oh. and btw.

you limiter statement is incorrect. on a spur of the moment type thing on an empty stretch of highway in my 86 944 NA!!! I hit 143.
and wasnt even close to redline. need i say that it was still pulling? and for you ppl who say it ddint happen....well...believe what you will.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:06 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Campeck
I hit 143.
Indicated, and I know for a FACT these speedo's are off.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:07 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

man. the more i read the more stuff i have to say.
about your dynoing #'s. my car went though a thorough rebuild. has less than 3% leakdonw in ALL cylinders. and fro the record. the dyno i was on bolted to your HUBS! so no wheels. and still only got 127 rwhp. hell. i doubt a brand new 944 off the lot in 86 made that much at the wheels. either the dyno did something wrong. or something been done toy our ca you dont know about. which is pretty cool. id love to know what it is.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:08 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MPD47
Indicated, and I know for a FACT these speedo's are off.
ok. ill accept that. but it was still pulling. if i was braver and more stupid it would have hit 150-160 or more on the speedo. maybe the highway being slightly downhill helped?
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:12 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

and before you trash the way our cars look. you better look at some of these cars. you will be blown away. and i know you will think twice. me and my dad are HARDLY rolling in money and we have the nicest 944 944S2's in town.

and ohio. dont blink. youll miss some of the nicest cars youll ever dream of seeing. ie tifos frikin awesome na.
petes old S2. Dans bitchin 944na. and you others know who you are.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:14 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Mavfan, just for your education, that's not a gov. that's a revlimiter. These cars are not "top speed limited" like most modern cars, they are mearly limited to how much power they have, gearing, and where that power is located. If you get a set of chips with a higher revlimiter you may go a mph or two faster, but the 924 does not make crazy power in the upper RPM range, so I would doubt you could go faster. But one of the 924 pros on here may want to correct me.

[Edit] Oh yes, and I SERIOUSLY doubt you're losing 15-20whp. That's like claiming an exhaust is 10hp, and an intake is 5hp, and now you're making an additional 15hp! It doesnt work that way.
while i didn't call it a "revlimiter" i stated what you just did, so it was a estimated guess on how fast the car could go, and also if i lost 30 hp having the exhaust bypass on, dont u think i might regain that if i take that out? which i did? i didn't have that when doing the dyno, so isn't it obvious that i should regain the hp i lost when putting it back to the way it was?
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:14 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

ok. ill accept that. but it was still pulling. if i was braver and more stupid it would have hit 150-160 or more on the speedo. maybe the highway being slightly downhill helped?
150-160, I'd guess was more like 120-135 gps verified.

and you others know who you are.
Awww thanks Ashton! Yeah, Pete's S2 was amazing.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:16 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mavfan
while i didn't call it a "revlimiter" i stated what you just did, so it was a estimated guess on how fast the car could go, and also if i lost 30 hp having the exhaust bypass on, dont u think i might regain that if i take that out? which i did? i didn't have that when doing the dyno, so isn't it obvious that i should regain the hp i lost when putting it back to the way it was?
I know, you didnt call it a revlimited, I'm mearly correcting your terminology, so you dont say it incorrectly again. If you lost 30hp on the dyno from the cutout sure, but your thinking that deleting the cutout and putting a piece of pipe in will net more gains on top, is flawed IMO. As are your dyno numbers, but I'm in no mood to argue.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:18 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

ok. one LAST thing. sorry for all the posts. and really mav. i dont mean to be maen. its late..and im just telling you stuff.

seeing as the 924S engine is the same as the 944. i can answer MPD47 question. i higher revlimiter on these cars does not make your car "faster" there is absolutely NO power above 6500. it actaully drops off pretty steeply. you can feel the car slow down. AND you can hear the valves start to overlap and hear lots of intake backfiring.

Old 08-06-2005 | 03:18 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Awww thanks Ashton! Yeah, Pete's S2 was amazing.
MP!!! i was going to list you! but your not in ohio

just keeping with the theme. mp..your car is hot

Quick Reply: Another Ricer gets a 944 series...this time, it's PERSONAL