Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown headgasket: Cost and PITA estimates???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:51 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown headgasket: Cost and PITA estimates???

Hey guys and gals,

I've been hiding out for a while. I'm living in the boonies until Sept 11 and I also blew my headgasket and wondered if I should just sell my car.

I'd like to keep it if possible, so I'm wondering if someone can help me with an accurate estimate of the cost of parts, and also how much of a PITA it will be to fix.

I need to get her on the road again as quickly and as cheaply as possible. What parts are absolutely required, and what else can be replaced with no extra effort while I'm replacing the headgasket?

Also, how many hours might this take? 1-afternoon thing or is that too ambitious? Thanks!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:06 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

IIRC you are out in Ramona right? That's not so far away from civilization. Shoot Stig is by Tecate? Just a stones throw away. LOL.

Maybe an afternoon.

- Oil Drain Plug Seal (22 X 27mm) 1 at $0.35 (could be re-used)
- Intake Manifold Gasket 4 for $6.40 (could be re-used)
- Head Gasket 1 at $48.85
- Anti freeze $20
- Oil and filter $30
- AL crush rings (head) $5.00
- Cam Housing to head Gasket 1 at $5.95
- Lots of de-greaser and brake cleaning fluid

My question would be what caused the problem, overheating? Old failed gasket? Have you taken it apart yet to find out? The reason could make a HUGE difference in the price of the repair. Also you need to find out if there was any warping on any of the head surfaces.

Good luck.. Anything that I forgot fellas?

Michael
Old 08-05-2005, 03:30 AM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Well, it didn't overheat when it happened. I felt a plug getting fouled and soon it would chug out and run on 3 cylinders. Then I noticed a loss of coolant and put 2 & 2 together. The plug was covered with muck when I got it home. Seems like the ring around #4 just let go.

What about head bolts or studs...I don't need to replace anything there?

Anyway, I don't think the head warped because temps never got out of hand, but I would go spend $40 to have it re-surfaced anyway.

Seems like it's gonna be pretty cheap to fix after all...how about labor? Any typical problems or roadblocks with this job? Thanks so far, you're giving me hope...lol!
Old 08-05-2005, 03:47 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow YOU know who to ask

Dude, just sounds like a West Coast Wrenching Party to me!

YOU know who to ask, lol.

- Julie
Old 08-05-2005, 04:05 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sean,

"What about head bolts or studs...I don't need to replace anything there?" Just make sure that you get the proper torque settings and take your time. The AL crush washers are the only things that will need replacing. People have gotten away with re-using them so take that for what it is worth.

If you wanna do it yourself you can. Just take it slow and remember to bag/label your parts as you take them out and bag them. Make sure that you have the tools ahead of time. 4 new plugs are maybe another $20. No need to over spend. Just get new Bosch copper plugs or clean the ones that you have.

Let me know if you need some help. I may be able to get one of my uncles out there to help if you are up to having some extra hands.

DAMN that was post 914!! ANOTHER good one spent..

Michael
Old 08-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by URIN 2ND
Well, it didn't overheat when it happened. I felt a plug getting fouled and soon it would chug out and run on 3 cylinders. Then I noticed a loss of coolant and put 2 & 2 together. The plug was covered with muck when I got it home. Seems like the ring around #4 just let go.
For the benefit of others, if there's something like this the matter with your car, it's never a good idea to drive it home, that's what tow trucks are for. The chances of detroying your engine or screwing up other things are increased every mile you drive.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:07 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Get a headgasket kit (~$100 from Sunset or Pelican) which will include the headgasket, cam housing, intake manifold, and exhaust gaskets.

You should (at a minimum) have the head surface verified to be true and not warped which should be ~$25 or so.

If you think you can spring for a little more cash, some good shops can clean up your head and valves for under $200. i was quoted ~$200 for for cleaning, valve guide replacement, and 5 angle valve job.

I would allow a weekend to do the job right if all you are going to to do is replace the gaskets. Give yourself some time to clean up the surfaces and have a time buffer for the little issues that may come (like parts runs for stuff you didn't think of).
Old 08-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Otherwise it will run you $1100 from what I have seen others on here say they spent. Disconnect the coil wire and remove the spark glugs and see if any fluid squirts out of the combustion chamber when you crank it over. Stand back. It almost punched a whole through the hood when the coolant came flying out. Sweet orange everywhere all over the garage!

Quick Reply: Blown headgasket: Cost and PITA estimates???