Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plug wires and coil..replacement time which to use

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Royalty
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question plug wires and coil..replacement time which to use

Ok its time for a mild tune up. I'm looking to do my wires (already did plugs) and coil being that the PO has elec tape on one of the wires!!

I went to advance auto for wires and was in for a treat when they told me $125. I figured this was alot for Advacne auto wires and If i was goign to pay that much I woudl like to get some "namebrand" wires. Ive done some searchign and came across wires from jacobs electronics (sp) and i saw magnecores are pretty good as well. What i'm asking is what plugs should I get?

On to coil. I dont think its ever been replaced so I will retire teh original one. I ran across a Flame-Thrower coil from Petronix. What is this supposed to do for me and what would be the harm/benefit of me getting it?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 11:18 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of the "flame-thrower", but as i've been told, the ignition on these is good. No need to go higher than stock. I would suggest the magnacor wires as they are alot cheaper than the beru ones and work just as well. Coil, i would just replace the stock one or you can get a MSD Blaster one from Lindsey-Racing. I use a Nology Coil, cause i got it cheap, but i doubt it helps any. Plugs, I would use the NGK equvilant of the stockers. W7dc? (don't quote me on that, i have not a clue what it is) I use the NGK Iridiums, then again my car is a turbo car so the colder plug is ok.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Royalty
Banned

i read about hte pentronix flame thrower here: sound domain 944

Petronix site
While it's the perfect coil to go with the PerTronix Ignitor breakerless ignition, the new 40,000 volt Flame-Thrower can benefit virtually any distributor type induction system. For one thing, the higher voltage allows larger spark plug gaps for added power, smoother response and better fuel economy. Choose from chrome or OEM black, they're oil filled for better cooling and voltage insulation; or get the epoxy version of the Flame-Thrower when extreme vibration is a factor.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Royalty
Banned

BTW, where would i buy these magnecore wires for the best price? ebay?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:14 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Royalty
BTW, where would i buy these magnecore wires for the best price? ebay?

Noooo, its www.apexperformance.net, well thats where i got mine at.

The exact link is: http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...pid=113&cid=10

That coil might help, but 99% of the populious here still run stock coils unless they are moving to wasted spark.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Royalty
Banned

sounds good to me, saves me some money yay

Quick Reply: plug wires and coil..replacement time which to use