Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Von Steuben day parade (Porsche meet?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:57 AM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Von Steuben day parade (Porsche meet?)

Okay,
I live in the woods about 2hrs from NY city and Albany. Every year the local town has a parade in honor of Baron von Stueben (German general in Revolutionary war). Actually it's really just an excuse to shut down the town for a day so everyone can be publicly drunk. It's really a good time. This year it's on September 24th and usually starts at about noon. Now I was just wondering if anyone with their P-car would like to join me. I will be there in my 951 but I thought it would be kind of cool if we could roll up and represent the finest of German autos together. The parade route is only about 1 mile long and afterwards there is a carnival/fair where they have tents for food, games, and contests. The fair is located in a large field and would be a perfect set up for a car show too. This town is also located about 10 minutes from the very popular "Hawks Nest" which is a windy canyon road on Rt. 97 that is litterally on the side of a cliff. BMW, Mazda, Mini, and Harley Davidson have done commercials on that road for it's awesome view and even cooler twities. I can give anyone directions if this gets any steam and I will give you better detail as well.

The town is called Yulan NY and is very close to the NY/NJ/PA border.

Just a thought for anyone semi local that would like to take a weekend spin into the country side and have some fun.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:20 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why is it in new york? his fort was in present steubenville ohio where they have a recreated fort, and not much of a festival.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:22 AM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

This place is right by the Delaware river. It is in Sullivan county, the zip code is 12792.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:58 PM
camelot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My aunt had a resturant in Glen Spey. That road is awsome. And the view is too. You swear you can throw a rock across that river but try it.(from the cliff side) If you can you could say you threw one from ny to pa. Thats a great ride for me, I'll check my schedule.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

gcb951... The kraut-suckers will be all over this one!!! (Hessian Reenactors, I mean...)

Early on in the event, find some Hessian reenactors (they'll be those wearing, amoung other headgear, the brass-fronted miter helmets and grand mustachios (we call them "coneheads")). Work with them (and the press) to get some regimental group shots with your group of Porsches. Perhaps you'll get on the front page!!!

Staff photogs are always looking for something a bit out of the usual to spice up an otherwise booring assignment and they might enjoy that kind of presentation. Some of the Hessians were either dragoons or light calvalry, their horses died on the crossing and they were forced to fight afoot. If you can find some light cav or dragoon units up there, that might be even more fun... "Modern mounts".

Good Luck!!!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 07-27-2005, 03:24 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Yea,
It's a neat ethnic German festival. Lots of German beer, sour kraut, and wienrshnitsle. But if your German or not, it really doesn't matter at this place. It's a small town and everyone has a good time. If we can get enough p-cars there I will map out a route that we can all drive on so everyone can get a taste of the cool roads back this way. As Camelot mentioned, Yulan is located near Glen Spey. I will attach an image of the "Hawks Nest" so everyone can see what I am talking about. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:40 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Id be in for a drive.

Quick Reply: Von Steuben day parade (Porsche meet?)