Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how can i get off this baked on brake dust???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:32 PM
faithless
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrial
Looks like a 9" wide clubsport?

Anyway I have the same problem with those wheels, brakedust just cakes itself on there if not cleaned regularly.

P21S Gel, blah blah blah nothing works.
Yea it is, the tire on the back is 245. Are 9" more rare?

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Are you deciding to concours?? Or just want to see it super clean? I've personally cleaned what i could on the inside, but never let it bother me that much. Most shows don't even put that much emphasis on that.
Not concours, I'm just cleaning up after the PO's daughter trashed his car... The rims were SO badly oxidized, and as you can see they never washed them either because that brake dust shouldnt have gotten that caked on there... I had to actually remove the seats to get all the trash out from under them...
Old 07-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Ah. Yeah ive seen people driving around with bright silver wheels...that well...are just black! You would never know they were any other color. Some people just don't care!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:12 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Try some Eagle One A2Z wheel cleaner. It should be available at WalMart for about $5. Spray some on and brush, wash it off and repeat. Since you working with the inside of the wheel, I'd use a ScotchBrite pad, too.

When you get it clean, coat it with an acrylic sealant, like Klasse All-In-One or Zaino, to help keep it clean. Wax melts at too low a temperature to be useful on brakes.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:50 PM
89AZ944
Racer

Try a Mr. Clean eraser, it did wonders on the "baked on" brake dust on our Impala

I would also try a Scotch Brite w/Bon Ami (Does't scratch, bleach free). Make a light paste out of a little Bon Ami and use the pad.

DO NOT DO THIS ON THE PARTS OF THE RIM THAT WILL SHOW.

It will scratch paint, wax, clearcoat, etc. and take the shine off any glossy surface.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:39 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

You could try Muriatic Acid as well. It's typically used in masonry for cleaning finished work or messes on concrete. It's pretty strong. Watch your skin/eyes with this one.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:26 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by shmucklebuckle
You could try Muriatic Acid as well. It's typically used in masonry for cleaning finished work or messes on concrete. It's pretty strong. Watch your skin/eyes with this one.
Sorry to disagree, but I would avoid muratic acid like the plague, it will lliterally kill the aluminums' natural ability to form a protective oxide layer. Unless completely neutralized with soda and water it can enlarge every micro pore in the aluminum in seconds. Works OK in diluted form to remove anodizing when refinishing Fuchs and Cookie Cutters for polishing though. Just use elbow grease and be careful using too many chemicals.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:49 AM
faithless
Pro

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Sorry to disagree, but I would avoid muratic acid like the plague, it will lliterally kill the aluminums' natural ability to form a protective oxide layer. Unless completely neutralized with soda and water it can enlarge every micro pore in the aluminum in seconds. Works OK in diluted form to remove anodizing when refinishing Fuchs and Cookie Cutters for polishing though. Just use elbow grease and be careful using too many chemicals.
ya, this is a job I'm gonna save till it cools down outside... after working on my car during the day, I have to go take a shower before I dare sit on my nice sheepskins...

I like that magic eraser and I have one and it works great, but I cant see it removing anything more than the stains on the alu. I'll give it a try though. Right now I'm leaning toward a finer emery cloth... that stuff doesnt eat up your hands like steelwool does.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:21 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

hahahaha, whoopsies note to self: keep muratic acid off alluminum stuff

Quick Reply: how can i get off this baked on brake dust???