Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fresh rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 05:18 PM
gstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh rebuild questions

I have a couple questions for you guys before I put the rebuilt engine in the car.

1. Im not sure what kind of bolts I need to replace all of the hardware on the block with (i.e. water pump, oil pan).
They appear to be anodized, but I need to be sure what to get.

2. What kind of oil did you use for your first start up? I read that mineral oil sets piston rings better, is this true?
Any other comments or seggestions are appreciated.

Best Regards,
Ben Goldstein
Old 07-24-2005, 06:01 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

1) You don't need to replace low-stress bolts unless they are damaged or corroded. Also, Porsche engineers will pick odd threads and lengths. I'll cut bolts down sometimes, but it gets old and any messed up threads will mess up the Al holes.

You'll not find special coatings at the hardware storee so your best option is to apply anti-seize. I'm happy with the regular silver stuff but some folks swear by copper anti-seize.

2) Start with 10w40 dino oil and run it for 1000 miles. A better brand, like Valvoline, will lend some peace-of-mind.

Seems that everyone has their own procedure for breaking in the engine. The basic themes are to start slow and build up RPMs and throttle over time. A search of the email or forum archives will produce more info.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:04 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

yea, just reuse the old nuts and bolts. if you don't have them, you can look them up in the PET manual. most of those are M6 IIRC.

i was instructed to use dino oil on my rebuild. i did and changed it to synthetic at 500 miles. after putting 3000 miles on the rebuild, i switched back to dino oil because the synthetic mobil 1 was letting oil past the rings and burning out the exhaust. now i have no leaking from the exhaust.

the porsche manual says to avoid lugging the engine, don't rev past 5K until at least 1000 miles, and a few other things i forgot....
Old 07-25-2005, 12:59 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a metric set of new bolts (grade 8.8) and replaced them ALL. I started to use the old ones and broke a couple off. That was all the incentive I needed to replace them.

I also used dino for the breakin. I used a Mobil oil since I'm going to Mobil 1 at the first change. I hope I don't run into the same trouble as Joseph.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:03 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) I replaced them all with stuff from boltdepot.com ... however i believe the plating you want is cadmium... search the archives to confirm though...

2) I used dino oil for breakin (believe it was castrol), with no detergents as recommended by numerous people.

Changed oil to dino (castrol again) with detergents around 4-500 miles... was at the track running Amsoil 20-50 by 800 miles... engine runs great, doesn't burn a drop.

Quick Reply: Fresh rebuild questions