Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: Factory Equalizer

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:55 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve- I don't have what you're looking for, but, try this....

http://reality.sgiweb.org/wws/stereo_faq.html

IF you can't locate it through here, try sending Walt an e-mail- his addy is somewhere in that FAQ... I've e-mailed him a few times & he's usually pretty good at getting back to people....

I'm having all kinds of probs/dilemas on what to do w/my stereo... Anyway.... good luck w/the diagram....

Cliff- You have a PM.....
Old 08-18-2005, 02:32 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I am still without an equalizer.
Didn't bid on that auction because an EQ that might have worked was on the way...it didn't.

Anybody have one? I saw the one thats on ebay now ... $10 + $10 shipping for something that he doesnt even know if it works....and probably doesn't .... yeah right.

thanks,
Adrial
Old 08-18-2005, 03:00 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

I am still in the same boat as Adrial - I need one also and passed on the Ebay 3 pack a while ago because I didn't want to chance them not working.

So if anyone has one please e-mail or PM me. I am looking for a mint one, please (the whole package too - cable, support,bracket, etc.).

Adrial if you are still looking for one just to buy - Charlotte 944 (Cliff) should still have his - I decided not to buy it, it didn't match the lettering on my Reno. So he most likely still has it and will prob sell it to you. I will only say that the price he offered it to me at was very reasonable for an eq, and his came with the bracket, support, face, and cable, etc.

- Mike
Old 08-18-2005, 04:19 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, I sent him a PM...although it seemed like he wanted to sell it as a package with the headunit.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you guys tried a dealer? I know it would probably be pricey, but, if you want mint...? Anyway, I'd be curious to see what Sunset would sell them for new- just to get an idea of what their range could be.... Sunset is the best I know for good dealerr prices, w/the second best being Don Rosen in Philly....
Old 08-18-2005, 06:21 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Yeah...a dealer....I dont think so... That will definetely be in the hundreds.
I am just looking for functional, its not like these things really get beat up....
Old 08-18-2005, 07:55 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

I don't mean to hijack this thread either, but I have a head unit related question: Is is possible to place the head unit in the space occupied by the cubby hole/EQ? My thought would be no, since the angle the head unit goes in at would likely hit the inside of the center console, but it never hurts to ask. Maybe someone else has done it before.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jonathan- Evidently, the depth creates a prob- I've read this somewhere- I've always thought you MIGHT be able to find a slightly smaller HU & mount it there- the factory EQ's were smaller in every way than normal DIN- Next time I mess w/my stereo (it's out at the moment) I'll try to put it there just to check it out, if I can remember- my HU is a Kenwood 7017- I ALSO have an older Clarion Pro Audio that I can try, but, it's being worked on right now- I've been meaning to try it for a long time, just to see if it would work... What are you thinking about for the location?

Adrial- yeah, I'm sure it would be a couple hundred, BUT, there were at least two styles, AND, SOME dealers MIGHT make a deal w/you just to get rid of such an old part- Sunset would seem to be the most likely, IMO- they normally charge cost + 15% IIRC, but, might be inclined to go lower...?
800 311 4858
You could ask about BOTH styles, just know, for reference purposes, if nothing else.... I'd be curious to know myself- I had an '89 Integra for years- came w/a nice factory stereo for the time- when I got it, the dealer swapped out 2 Bose coaxes from a Legend (better than Integra's) for all 4 of my Integra Bose. I put aftermarket's in rear- car came w/factory CD & a seperate tape deck & seperate EQ... Had to price it all a few years later when some ******* broke into it & ruined it all, trying to steal it... WTF for...? Factory Acura stuff...? Anyway, the EQ was ~$400. Deck & CD player were $800ea!!! Porsche might be similarly priced, but, now that the years have passed....? You never know... I'm kind of surprised you're having such a tough time w/this- this thread's been up awhile now... Just out of curiosity, why do you want one? Are you just trying to put it all back stock? Are you doing completely stock speakers too? It's not a bad set-up.... The last of the 968's had lot's of little changes, etc & are supposed to be the best M490's- never heard one though, but, if I went back to stock, I'd try my best to scource those- more wiring stuff to deal with though b/c of seperate amps running front & back speakers, ,but....
Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jonathan- now it seems to me that those nubs on the sides, that help support the deck from underneath, get in the way if you try to mount in the bottom position... the angle probably DOES have something to do w/it... I'm sure if you broke those things off & smoothed them out in there, you could fit something, but, would be a lot of work for what it might accomplish... I'm sure you could find a DVD-player or something, w/screen, to fit if you used the whole area though... maybe we'll see someone mount a navigation system in a 944 before too long... I personally don't care for all that stuff, but, I do wonder if it's possible...
Old 08-18-2005, 09:01 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Robby
Just out of curiosity, why do you want one? Are you just trying to put it all back stock? Are you doing completely stock speakers too? It's not a bad set-up.... The last of the 968's had lot's of little changes, etc & are supposed to be the best M490's- never heard one though, but, if I went back to stock, I'd try my best to scource those- more wiring stuff to deal with though b/c of seperate amps running front & back speakers, ,but....
My factory eq appears to be dead. It's been dying for a while, the stereo would usually work, then sometimes, now barely ever. I checked wiring and it was getting power, just it wouldn't turn on. The headunit itself works fine.

I'm perfectly happy with the stock sound....its not great but its good enough for me...and my budget.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:30 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

I'm going to chime in - the main reason I want to get an eq is that I have this thing about my cars being "period". I'll give an example - my '87 Range Rover Classic SWB is stock everything except for the stereo because there was no reasonable way to keep it original, plus I did some sport style upgrades to it made it how I wanted, it was my project - I didn't mind sacrificing some originality because it was the only option I had, and it made things nicer.

The 944 I recently got however is nice, very nice and its going to be even nicer when I am done. It's bone stock - the eq would only be an upgrade, including the new alpine speakers I am going to get for it. Other than that the car was so well taken care of and has such an extensive service history that I don't want it to change anything, just preserve it. Plus I like the feel of it, and you can't say that the Reno isn't at least a halfway decent radio either (especially for being old, also the fact that lots of new head units look like they belong in a spaceship, not a 944, at least a Reno or other Blau looks the part). On top of that, I HATE the cubby - it's not bad for the car, but in the 44 it is in the wrong spot - right above the tranny gets so HOT, my cell phone was burning when I went to answer a call after a long drive lol. So for me its just a little addition to my ride while keeping it period. I know its a little weird, but its just me.

Also I don't think a head unit could fit lower down unless it was smaller like suggested. Even then I think it would be more of a hassle because its not terribly roomy there in the first place. Just my opinion. And also its old - I didn't mean mint like NOS off the dealer shelf - I just want one that isn't faded, works, and was taken care of mainly, because 1) it's in my budget like Adrial 2) it's 10+ yrs old electronic equipment and 3) the dealers price even if it was wholesale would be insane - example being a clarion deck for my Range Rover wholesale is 600. It's just better for everyone to source it through a place like Rennlist or PCA, everyone ends up happy.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:09 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

thanks Robby. Yeah, it sounds like more trouble than it is worth.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefourfour89
(snip)... but in the 44 it is in the wrong spot - right above the tranny gets so HOT, my cell phone was burning when I went to answer a call after a long drive lol. So for me its just a little addition to my ride while keeping it period. I know its a little weird, but its just me.

Psst. The tranny is under the cargo area I know you know that. .

ps. I'll call you tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:47 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Haha No, I know the tranny is in the back of the car but I was thinking mainly of the Range Rover at first (and kind of zoning while I was typing too), but in general, the driveshaft/drivetrain, however you want to describe it I don't care, it just gets hot like that in any car, but more so in the Range and even more so in the 44.

Dev, I'll look forward to your call. Thanks, hope all is well.
- Mike

Quick Reply: WTB: Factory Equalizer