Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delphi Roady 2 - best mounting setups?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 07:17 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts
Cool Delphi Roady 2 - best mounting setups?

Ok, I have been an XM listener for many months now and love it. Today I bought one for the 944 and activated it, now where to put it? It is the Roady 2, the real compact one with a built-in FM modulator/transmitter in it. I hate to just tack it on somewhere, anyone installed one of these in a tastefull manner?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:08 PM
ANORXIC'51'
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you could live without the ashtray...ABS plastic plate with window for the Roady to either pressure fit into or be secured from underneath. I havnt tried it yet as my car has been in the shop for a month and a half, but Im pretty sure the control unit is to tall to be fineigeled(sp) into the slot under the din radio.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:45 AM
ZV
Racer

By coincidence I _just_ picked one of these up tonight. I'll take some pics of it in the morning when there's light and show you how I have it mounted. For now, a description will have to do.

Antenna: Mounted in the center of the front roof, about 1" in front of the sunroof opening. Wire comes in through the sunroof gasket and is tucked into the headliner, then down the driver's side A-pillar, around the back of the dash and then along the joint between the lower dash and the switch panel.

Receiver: I used the vent mounting thing with the clips rotated to upside-down and clipped it to the small, non-functional, vent-looking area on the passenger side of the two main dash vents (I know, this description sucks, it really has to be seen).

It works well and since my unit will pull double-duty with my home stereo as well, it keeps it removeable.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:17 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Thanks ZN, probably do something like you have done - I too want to use the unit elsewhere. I will have to choose a different route for the antenna wire though, I have no sunroof.

I thought about cutting a hole where the ashtray is (I have a spare center console in the garage) and mounting it flush in there, but one of the main controls is a scroll wheel on the top right corner on the side of the unit - just won't work out unless I de-solder it and relocate the switch.

I do like it though, had it activated this afternoon - just $6 extra for another radio on my plan, I can handle that just fine........
Old 07-23-2005, 02:22 AM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by sharky47
Thanks ZN, probably do something like you have done - I too want to use the unit elsewhere. I will have to choose a different route for the antenna wire though, I have no sunroof.

I thought about cutting a hole where the ashtray is (I have a spare center console in the garage) and mounting it flush in there, but one of the main controls is a scroll wheel on the top right corner on the side of the unit - just won't work out unless I de-solder it and relocate the switch.

I do like it though, had it activated this afternoon - just $6 extra for another radio on my plan, I can handle that just fine........
Can probably run the wire back to the hatch and bring it in there since you don't have the sunroof in the way. Then route it under the headliner like I did and follow the same path along the dash. For me the sunroof was the limiting factor since the XM antenna should be near the FM antenna for the modulator to work best, so I was forced to run the wire in through the sunroof if I wanted the XM antenna near the FM antenna.

Aaron
Old 07-23-2005, 02:28 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a plan!

So where did you get your unit and how much did you pay for it? I was going to get one from a vender on Ebay for $60 BIN new with all accessories. We just had our Super WalMart open this week and as I was checking things out I noticed they were selling them for $47! I could take it home that day - and I didn't even need to pay for shipping! I bought it on the spot and I am really happy with it - especially for the money I spent on it....
Old 07-23-2005, 02:56 AM
ZV
Racer

Same $47, but from Best Buy. I "splurged" and got the $39 setup to run it through my stereo in the apartment as well and am very glad I did, radio reception in Seattle is terrible with hills and whatnot. So far satellite is much better. And no commercials. I justified the whole thing by saying that I'll just cancel my $14/month extra-basic cable TV that I never use and put the money towards having good music available all the time. Already used the XM more this evening than I've used the cable in the past month.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:05 AM
tomrc
Pro

I've been a Sirius subscriber since last November and now can't live without it. Unfortunately I have one of those large tuners that will in no way fit into the interior of the 944, my POS company van however swallows it up. I'm also trying to figure out how to mount the thing. I may wind up getting a smaller one though.

Satellite radio is great, best thing since radial tires. I'm thinking of making a pigtail antenna that just sticks out the back of my stereo, just enough to pick up the FM transmitter of the satellite radio tuner and filling in the antenna hole on my fender. I have no desire to listen to local radio ever again.

Hey Sharky, are you going to be at the swap meet in Fredericksburg next weekend? I'm pretty sure I'm going to go on Saturday, possible Sunday, maybe we can meet up, anyone else?

Tom
'84 944
Rennlist Member (really)
Old 07-23-2005, 10:04 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad somebody brought this up.....about 6 mos ago we got the roady2 for our acura...and BB had a special at the time....buy one get another free in the mail....so I've got one for the 944 activated and sitting on my desk at home....post some mounting pics you guys!
Old 07-23-2005, 01:43 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Yes I will be there, in fact I intend to enter my car in the show! It's only $0.50 to enter, I don't care if I win anything, I just want to throw another car in the pile for people to look at. Gimme a call at 210-639-8823, I live about 7 miles from where the meet is being held. We will have to go get some lunch or something - we have a killer microbrew/German resteraunt!
Old 07-23-2005, 06:33 PM
ZV
Racer

Pictures of how I installed it.

In retrospect, I should have come down the passenger side, but I can always change it later. At some point I'll think of a more elegant solution to dealing with all that extra wire, but it works well for now lust leaving it in the glovebox.

Quick Reply: Delphi Roady 2 - best mounting setups?