Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opportunity

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:24 PM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opportunity

My father in-law (great guy) is going to sell his '87 944 for $4500. A couple of years back his timing belt broke and he needed major work, but all was completed. He travels a great deal overseas and just does not have time to drive the car. Minor sunroom problem and other cosmetics but he said it runs great. Has about 104K miles and A/C was recently checked. Hes the third owner and has most of the maintenance records from the 2PO's. He has all his records.

Questions:
1. Good deal?
2. Is it bad that the car sits a lot while he travels. (months at a time)?
3. Any major issues with the '87 year?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:32 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

The '87 will have the balljoint issues that your '84 won't have. Otherwise, I think it's all pretty much the same issues.

Pricewise, that seems within the range of what I'd expect one to go for, at least in No. VA. If you trust your father in law, then the car is a "known quantity". He'd be less likely to sell it to you because he knows something is about to go pop. Conversely, there are also risks of hard feelings if something major goes pop right after you buy it.

BB.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:32 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by 4thChild
My father in-law (great guy) is going to sell his '87 944 for $4500. A couple of years back his timing belt broke and he needed major work, but all was completed. He travels a great deal overseas and just does not have time to drive the car. Minor sunroom problem and other cosmetics but he said it runs great. Has about 104K miles and A/C was recently checked. Hes the third owner and has most of the maintenance records from the 2PO's. He has all his records.

Questions:
1. Good deal?
2. Is it bad that the car sits a lot while he travels. (months at a time)?
3. Any major issues with the '87 year?

Thanks.
1.Good enough, if....see next comment
2.Yes, bad deal for it to sit(sports cars hate sitting)
3.No

Someone with time to spare can tell you all the things that can go wrong.
If the engine was gone over(rebuilt) and has been properly broken in then you are in good shape with a compression test and a full fluids change. Then take her for a spin and give her a little how's your father and see what she does
Listen for sounds and make sure your ac is in top condition. Give her some good, not brutal cornering and listen feel for any funky slipping or uneasyness.
If it needs any suspension(read a-arms) then your value will quickly deplete.
Nothing insane just cost for realignment(your choice here) new or rebuilt a-arms etc....Clutch job=too much for that car....
Old 07-18-2005, 09:41 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

87's a good year - I have two!

As long as everythings in order, that would sound like a fair price to me.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:47 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,
I see in your sig your holding out for a 951! $4500 is not a bad price for a well maintained car, and without pics, those of us with the Porsche eye can only make limited comments.

Sunroof is an easy fix. Sitting cars?? Very opinionated questin there. I used to say it's not good but my 83' sits for months at a time, I put a battery in her and she starts right up. Sounds good and will pull the stink off a muel. Hell, you read about cars spending lots of time on stands....

Major issues w/87's--yes, creature comforts you will not find on your 84'. Check batt box bottom, "usual" engine leaks, pass front inner sway bushing, all electrical goodies work, and botched/hacked harness issues.

After seeing what the 83' could do with a good suspension, I knew I would not be content until had BOOOST.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:21 PM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

Just not sure about holding out for a 951 as I think it would be a good bit more maintenance and I love the idea of having a 944 with the newer dash.

Quick Reply: Opportunity