Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake bleeding/motive power bleeder: one tricky question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 02:59 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default brake bleeding/motive power bleeder: one tricky question

OK, I think I'm in a tricky situation here.

Yesterday, I bled my brakes, only to find I'd missed bleeding from the inner bleed screws on each wheel (S2, 951 style brakes.)

So, I went around again with the motive power bleeder from rear to front bleeding from the inner bleeder screws to finish the job.

On the last bleeder screw (front left, closest to the MC), I got air coming through. Yes, I'd taken my eye off the ball and let the fluid level in the reservoir get too low. Doh!

So now I assume I've got some air in the MC and the front left brake lines/pistons. What's the best approach to recover from here? I was thinking that pumping more brake fluid just through that line until I stopped seeing bubbles would be the first thing to do. But what about air in the MC? Can I avoid air getting into the other three lines?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mark
Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 AM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm, do you feel lucky?

You could always try just refilling that one line and caliper, then test drive the car, and see how the brakes feel...

That said, I think that the extra time in doing it right probably outweighs the extra cost in totalling your car.

gb
Old 07-14-2005, 07:06 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, actually I've done exactly that; I've refilled and bled that line, I've taken it for a test drive and the brakes feel OK.

So, George, in your opinion, what's "doing it right" from here? That was actually my question.

I'm interested in knowing where any air would be in the system at this point, and what it would take to get it out. In particular, I'm concerned about the prospect of air in the MC. Would flushing a line also clear the MC normally?

-Mark
Old 07-14-2005, 07:10 AM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your brakes feel OK at the moment, drive it around for a week or so, then rebleed the brakes again, completely, with plenty of fluid in the reservoir.

BTW, you're not the only person to have ever done this... wait until you airlock the clutch hydraulic system... that's a real chore to fix...

gb

Quick Reply: brake bleeding/motive power bleeder: one tricky question