Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to apply rear PORSCHE decal over bumper - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 02:45 AM
SDGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to apply rear PORSCHE decal over bumper - help needed

I just received a new rear "PORSCHE" decal (it comes in 2 sections) and of course there are no instructions. I removed the old decal and cleaned the area with 3M prep solvent to remove oils/wax. The area looks ready to go.....

So how do I do it? There is paper on both sides of the decal but only one side can easily be removed - exposing a slightly tacky surface.

Does one apply it carefully and directly to the dry surface - or can I spray some water with a drop of soap to help with alignment? If I use the water, I assume I squeegee the decal to remove bubbles? Also, if water is used, how long do I let the decal dry before pulling the remaining paper? Thanks...
Old 07-14-2005, 06:18 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question, I also have a new one waiting to get applied and it looks like it's going to be a real booger.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Spray bottle with soap/water, and a squeege. spray area where decal will go, peel paper from "tacky" side--position decal--keep area wet for adjustments, carefully remove "outer" paper, use squeege for any air bubbles, while decal is still wet, if you allow it to dry with bubbles, you will need to take a pin and "pop" the holes and then smooth them out. enjoy decal.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:11 AM
SDGuy
Instructor

Eric, thanks! I'll give it a go this weekend.

Kevin, you are following in my footsteps again How'd the alarm go? Did you do your keyless entry? Howard
Old 07-14-2005, 12:55 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

the decal comes on two pieces, but i believe the each letter is seperate too isnt it? at least on the original it is. i would take some measurements, then tape it off so you know exactly where to start it, thats how i applies the pinstripe on my truck, then when you stick one end, have a friend hold it, and keep it taught until you place the other end, it should go on fine, then remove the other backing.

ill find out if this method works, i plan on repainting my car after the fest
Old 07-14-2005, 01:27 PM
phil74501
Racer

I put one on about a month ago. The hard part is making the turn to the rear. The letters should be evenly spaced on the two sections. I took off the inner cover and pushed one end on, stretched it out and used a paper towel to press it down. Gotta admit that the second part looks better than the firs section. I figured out how to do it after the first section.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:13 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Take a spray bottle with water and add 2-3 drops of dish washing detergent and shake it up. after removing the paper backing from the decal spray the back of the decal and the car. while it is wet put it on the car and you should be able to move it around until it is perfect. take 2 credit cards back to back and squeegee the water out from under the decal. they are made with pressure sensitive adhesive so apply a far amount of pressure. squeegee the water out from the middle towards the outside of the decal.Let it sit for a few minutes after getting the water out. the application tape should lift off without removing the decal. If the decal lifts let is sit a little longer. You can also apply them dry by positioning the decal on the car where you want it. Tape it in place and start at one end by removing about 3-4 inches of the backing sheet. lightly touch the end of the decal to the car and start with the credit cards squeegeeing the decal on as you go remove the backing sheet. this method is faster but takes a lot of practice. If you don't apply decals all the time I would use the wet method. be patient and it should slick right on.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:16 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alarm went very well. Soldering connections on the back of the ign switch was a ******, and I was introduced to the "classic" A pillar top screw. If you ever install an aftermarket alarm, PM me for some tips.
Keyless entry happens when the 968 mirrors/handles get back from paint and that rolls into paintles dent removal topped off with body side mouldings.
Howard, if you need an extra set of hands for this just let me know.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Crackmonkey
Advanced

where di you get your decals
Old 07-15-2005, 08:05 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Cool

I replaced my rear decal with one I found on e-Bay--original and cheap.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:15 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

I installed the decal a couple of days ago. The instructions by Eric and 35thSLP were perfect. The spray bottle with a couple of drops of dishwashing soap worked great. On one side I had to wait about 5 minutes before I could remove the outer paper - it kept wanting to lift the decal back up - but be patient. I'm very glad I didn't try to install it "dry". Thanks again.... Howard

Quick Reply: how to apply rear PORSCHE decal over bumper - help needed