Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005 | 08:32 PM
phil74501
Racer

Default Sunroof questions

I have two questions about a sunroof. When I push the button to open the roof, I also have to push the metal contact bar, not sure what it is called, to make the roof open. It seems like it is loose. I checked the screw and it is tight. What could the problem be?

Also when I try to remove the roof, the two lifting arms aren't retracting into the body. I turn the key the first position and push the raise button. I can hear the motor running but the arms don't retract. Any ideas? Thanks for any help
Old 07-11-2005 | 08:43 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Just got through fixin' on my sunroof this past weekend. Clark's garage has a couple great write-ups (that's what I used). If you're lucky, the motor clutch just needs adjusting. If you're not so lucky (as in my case) you might have a little work ahead of you. Common problems are the gears in the headliner (which move the levers) will strip, or the cable will come loose back by the motor. Mine had both stripped gears and a broken lever that the cable attaches too. Just check to make sure all the parts are in good shape (replace any broken parts, of course), line up the lifting arms (that go into the sunroof - retract them all the way), and make sure the cable extends 284mm from the end of the tube clamp. I did this and put it together and everything works great now (except the motor doesn't stop when the arms retract all the way - I think I still have a bad switch, but just listen/look so I don't tweak anything in that one case). Good luck with it, and don't be too intimidated - it's not as bad as it looks.
Old 07-11-2005 | 11:02 PM
Spider
Instructor

The screws in the headliner switch are adjustable so that the contact will function when properly set. The parts are tiny, so be patient and use good lighting. I too adjusted my mechanisms, and replaced the console rocker switch- she now works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Sunroof questions