Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

effin clutch job!! GRR

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:37 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
That's a tall order there Wes. Get up at 3am, hit it hard all day and go to bed late knowing that last bellhousing bolt has to come off somehow. Trust me try and get another day. I'll shut up now.

heh.. if it comes down to it, i'll take that 2nd day off. I think the main problem its taken so long is cause we didn't really know what we where doing at first. Now i'm like, ok this has to come off, and this. You guys do this, i'll do that. We get alot done that way.

Anywase, i tried my local auto-zone for intake manifold gaskets. They said the have the S and S2 ones but can't even get the Turbo ones. I'm like WTF.. thats just a standard na gasket as well. Gosh, so i'm 2nd day'n them from paragon. Hopefully they come thru for me.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:40 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

I found my cheese heads at auto-zone for about $5. Also, theres probably a great import parts place in every major city. I was looking around the phonebook one day while looking for porsche parts. I found a place in Louisville called "victory auto imports" that has most of what I need in stock at great prices. If you need any more parts quick you might try that.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Big E
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good chance Mr. Snap-On will have them on the truck. I have heard people talk about how they noticed that the bit on their generic cheesehead sockets are actually twisted, so I ponied up for the good stuff.

Plus, it's way cool to hang out on the Snap-On truck. Just don't bring any more money than will pay for the cheesehead bits, or it will leave. "Oooohhh, look at that, I really need one of those..."
Old 07-12-2005, 04:43 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Big E, Yep, i've been keeping my eye out for the snap on or mac tools truck. I checked snap-ons website last night and they wanted $17 for one in 8mm.

I did however find them at auto-zone, 6,8,10,12mm for $12.99. I'll give em a try, but if i see the snap on truck before i use em, i'm still gonna get a snap on one.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did tthe flywheel and, i had no trouble getting thme out withthe generic napa cheese head.. i wouldn't worry too muich. the 12 mm is pretty strong
Old 07-12-2005, 04:59 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Isn't the flywheel bolts 8mm? eh, either way I got the correct ones lol.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:18 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(late to the post) Damn Wes, best your car has ever looked

One thing I like about my xtra long SS fuel lines and Laust VM, I can disconnect spark cables at the ends and swing the whole intake assy out.

I agree, cheap tripple points will leave you looking for expensive drill bits very late at night. The right tools are half the job.

Wes, give her hell! Ya know what we say rount these parts? Brute Force and Ignorance Solves all!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:32 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

lol, yea the snap on cheesehead bits will only run probably 200 bucks, lol. I just bought a 1/4" and 3/8" universal joint....77 bucks. And i have done 3 clutches and many tranny swaps with the same KD tool 8mm cheesehead bit....$1.99
Old 07-12-2005, 11:59 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WesM951
Isn't the flywheel bolts 8mm? eh, either way I got the correct ones lol.
12mm if i recall correctly, mine was $30 for Snap-On. Worth EVERY penny.

If you plan on replacing the pilot bearings, be prepared for the bolt method not to work. After messing with the pilot bearing using home made solutions for almost 3 hours, I gave up and spent the $140 for the Snap-On pilot bearing puller. 45 seconds later, the old bearing was out.

Also, remember to pull the clutch fork pivot shaft out! Thread in a long M6 bolt into the shaft, attach some vice grips, and hammer away.

Oh! Before you remove the exhaust hangers that attach to the torque tube, mark them with a little bit of spray paint. It's a pain in the *** to align them when the exhaust is already in.

Lastly, before you start rotating the torque tube, make sure the shifter is removed completely from inside. I forgot mine was still attached to the bottom bushing, and i scratched up my center console just a tad.

PM me if you want my phone number for any help, I'm relatively fresh from doing my job.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:53 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid question....

Earlier, it was said that the crossover pipe with the triangle flange is a 2-piece crossover?
How does that save you from removing the intake manifold?...
I can't get my wastegate out without dropping the exhaust from the turbo back.... (I apparently have a 2-piece crossover)
Old 07-13-2005, 02:37 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Zero10
Stupid question....

Earlier, it was said that the crossover pipe with the triangle flange is a 2-piece crossover?
How does that save you from removing the intake manifold?...
I can't get my wastegate out without dropping the exhaust from the turbo back.... (I apparently have a 2-piece crossover)

With the 2 peice you dont' have to remove the intake manifold(since you don't have to remove the cross pipe) as you can get to the downpipe flange (not where it connects to the turbo, but a flange 18" or so down) with a long *** extension. With the 2 peice you do not have to remove the cross pipe as the bell housing will clear the crosspipe with just the wastegate and rest of the exhaust removed.

New question, I almost have the tranny out, i just need to know how the spline/coupler moves. I marked the coupler and spline closest to the tranny, now does the coupler move towards the tranny? I'm kinda lost here. If i move the coupler and pull it off the driveshaft spilne (w/e u call it, closest to the engine) won't that dismiss the fact i marked the side closest to the tranny. We had everything unbolted and was trying to pull the tranny, but the coupler would not come off the spline. I must of missed a step somewhere. If it does move towards the tranny, i'm assuming i'll have to bolt it back up to get everything lined up correctly again and move it towards the tranny correct?

BTW, If your car has an external tranny cooler, i found it easier to remove the tranny cooler than trying to futz with getting a wrench/socket around it for the top passenger side bolt.

My friends dad picked up a 8mm cheese head from MAC today (yes he hunted the guy down), we used it on the cv's and it worked great! Come to find out he also ordered a set like mine but better quality. He told me just to take mine back lol.

I also took tomorrow off so i'm planning on getting alot done!
Old 07-13-2005, 02:57 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Tick Tock, Tick Tock. I moved my coupler forward with no issues. The thing that bothered me the most was why they made the plastic shift tube housing a one-piece component. Any idiot would know that a two-piece plastic tube coming in from each component (TT housing and transaxle) would work just as well as trying to clear that freakin tube without breaking it after a clutch job. What were they thinking? Next time I'll leave the tube off completely. So Wes, how is that 2 day off warning working out?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:00 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

heh yea i may need the 2nd day. Like you said, always running into snags!
Old 07-13-2005, 03:28 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by WesM951
heh yea i may need the 2nd day. Like you said, always running into snags!

I hate to call attention to the misery of others but... The sad thing is we can all do a clutch the 'second time' in record time but we never seem to keep the car long enough to benefit from the lesson learned. Keep up the hard work and you will make it to 944 Fest. I wish it wasn't so far, my wife actually wants to go, I have the time, but reality is working against me as usual.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 07-13-2005 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:21 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Well 2hrs today so far and got the tranny out and working on the touqe tube out, had to come and check n see what we where doing wrong again. Figured it out so back to work we go.

Hopefully its sooth sailing from here on out. (crosses fingers)

Quick Reply: effin clutch job!! GRR