Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problems again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Starter problems again...

Hey guys,

Last year my starter finally kicked the bucket; it started to make a big loud embarassing grinding noise when I fired up the car. So I propped up the car and pulled the starter myself, and took it to a Starter/Alternator rebuild shop.

Got it back a few days later and threw it on, and it fired up like new!

Now last week sometime, I hop in the car, turn over the key...full power, but NOTHING happens. I'm like wtf? I turn it off, then back on again: starts up no problem.

Now it's happening more frequently, I have to turn the ignition on and then off again about 3-4 times before it fires up perfectly fine.

Any clues as to what is happening? Shoddy rebuild? Crappy wires? Should I really be getting in on the IceShark group buy?

Thanks,
Brendan
Old 07-06-2005, 04:25 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Do mean that there is no sound whatsoever during the first try? No click, no sound, nothing? If it is not making any noise at all, I'd look at the starter solenoid. Was that replaced during the rebuild?

If so, check you cables; specifically the line from the ignition switch to the starter (small wire held on by 8mm nut).

Then check the battery positive to the starter. If it's original, it could be the problem.
Does this wire get hot while the car is running ?

If it is making noise, what's it doing?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:18 PM
schumi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sounds like a common failure mode of starters in my experience with 2 different cars recently. I would also check the small plastic harness connection where a thin blue and thicker red wire (I may have that backwards, red wire comes from starter) connect near the brake master cylinder. Follow the red wire up from the starter to find it. If that connection is loose, you can have exact symptoms you describe.

Originally Posted by Friendan
Hey guys,

Last year my starter finally kicked the bucket; it started to make a big loud embarassing grinding noise when I fired up the car. So I propped up the car and pulled the starter myself, and took it to a Starter/Alternator rebuild shop.

Got it back a few days later and threw it on, and it fired up like new!

Now last week sometime, I hop in the car, turn over the key...full power, but NOTHING happens. I'm like wtf? I turn it off, then back on again: starts up no problem.

Now it's happening more frequently, I have to turn the ignition on and then off again about 3-4 times before it fires up perfectly fine.

Any clues as to what is happening? Shoddy rebuild? Crappy wires? Should I really be getting in on the IceShark group buy?

Thanks,
Brendan
Old 07-06-2005, 06:27 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by schumi
I would also check the small plastic harness connection where a thin blue and thicker red wire (I may have that backwards, red wire comes from starter) connect near the brake master cylinder. Follow the red wire up from the starter to find it. If that connection is loose, you can have exact symptoms you describe.

Are you talking about the 2 pin connector wit h1 blue wire and 1 red wire? The blue wire comes from the Alternator in that case.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:24 PM
wice.lt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<Friendan>
If you do hear a click click and no turn then I would say the copper bushings are shot and the magnetic field jams the starter motor when you engage it. Probably need to start looking for a rebuilt one. If no noise is heard at all I would look at the power supply. You can also try tapping with a big screw driver onto casing of your starter and try then --> if it works then you need to rebuild your bushings or just buy a rebuilt one.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help guys.

No, there is no noise from the starter at all, other than what sounds like power trying to make its way through my car. The clicking and grinding happened before. I actually don't know if they replaced the solenoid when they rebuilt it, though I kinda figured when I took it in to be "rebuilt" that they would replace anything that would have worn out.

I think you guys are confirming what I think, it has something to do with the power supply. I'm sure my wiring is pretty old, though it was garaged most of its life the wiring is still old. I'm going to check my connections.

Quick Reply: Starter problems again...