Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone just opened their door on my car...GREAT

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 12:43 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch...sorry to hear that. Something similiar happened to me this weekend. My girlfriend and I went to a great little cafe for a piece of pie. My 944 is parked next to a fence in the mostly empty lot...only the passenger side has another parking space next to it.

We're enjoying our pie when a Saturn station wagon pulls up and parks right next to me, totally ignoring the fact that he could have any space in the lot. The (really) fat guy driving swings open his door and rams it right into my passenger side mirror. Then he and his equally fat wife stand there and admire the car for a few minutes.

I'm waiting for them as they walk towards the door. "Hey, do you mind telling me why you rammed your door into my mirror? Yeah, that's my little car, and I don't appreciate you carelessly damaging it." Long story short, it was just a small paint mark on the black mirror trim...no harm done, no door ding. I did get all his insurance information, though, just in case.

Yeah, I made a scene in the cafe. So what? I was so angry that I almost decked the guy. I know that not many people give a sh*t about having nice things anymore, but I do and I hate that people just don't care. It felt great to embarass him in front of his wife and make him feel bad. Maybe he'll be a little more careful next time.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:51 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Best of luck with that man. That has hapened to my car twice, just a week ago was one of em. Right after i spent half a day detailing the car, this dumb woman doesn't look to see a car is parked next to her and just SWINGS the door open. Luckily both times it just hit my sideview mirror. Honestly, can't you just take the half second to look?!?! Hopefully she pays for it.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:23 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike the Rookie
"BTW it drives me nuts when you go out of your way to park away from other cars and you get some heap right next to you. That's why you have to favor the last spot on the right, nobody on your right and the person on the left is likely to park with their passenger door towards you, and the odds are they have no passenger. Gotta play the numbers"

And I thought I was the only one who had this parking thing down to a science!
Nope...
I've started doing pretty much the same thing. Park on the end, as far away as possible from the stall next to mine, as close to the curb as I can get. And I try to avoid lots that have very narrow spaces. If I can't get 5 feet between mine car and the next possible car, I won't park there.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

IMO taking two spaces just invites people to mess with your car. Better to take a space a bit fartehr away and next to an island or on the end of a row, and leave lots of space on the exposed side. Odds are good that if someone parks next to you they will not have a passenger.

-Joel.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:26 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
IMO taking two spaces just invites people to mess with your car.
-Joel.
My point exactly.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
drove my freshly painted mustang to college, parked on the street. Came out and this red hondu was parked right up against me and the paint was all blown off the rear bumper! I was pissed but didnt persue the person, i had some paint left and repainted the bumper. About two months later i was driving this beater i bought just to drive to school, i see an empty parking spot right in front of...oh yes, the same red hondu! Lets just say i didnt ease it into the spot if ya know what i mean.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:48 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
IMO taking two spaces just invites people to mess with your car. Better to take a space a bit fartehr away and next to an island or on the end of a row, and leave lots of space on the exposed side. Odds are good that if someone parks next to you they will not have a passenger.

-Joel.

ditto on Joel's technique. Never take two spaces - my god thats asking for it....

I often park next to the handicap spots as in park my tires on the lines of one side. They still have plenty of room and I just gave myself another 2 feet on the other side. I still have yet to see a car parked in one when I have come out of the store.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather juat drive mine and put up with the nicks and dents of outrageous misfortune, although it sounds like she really nailed you a good one.

You have to ask yourself, did you buy your car to drive it, or look at it?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Originally Posted by Peckster
You have to ask yourself, did you buy your car to drive it, or look at it?
Both
Old 07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Both - and so far so good.

Quick Reply: Someone just opened their door on my car...GREAT