Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug/connector next to Ignition inside dash??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Plug/connector next to Ignition inside dash??

Putting a dash back in a 944 (late dash) and noticed a wire connector had pulled apart.

Two wire (red and green) plug in right next to the ignition switch on the steering column. Never had a problem with this before. But the connector itself broke and the guts came out. Has a internal toggle connection and spring.

I cannot find this connector or the wires on the wiring diagram. I have no idea what they go to. Thinking that the internal toggle type selector has something to do with the ignition on/off/run. It would help me to know what the hell it is when trying to put the little pieces back together (I cant see inside the socket since its facing forward (towards the firewall).

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the bump (for the wkday shift) but Im still puzzled by this one.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:27 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a late dash expert but a picture would def. help figure your cause. When i posted a picture of a dash connector recently i had an answer in minutes!

Based on the position could it be for the stalk on that side of the column? Wipers and low/high beams?
Good Luck!
Erich
Old 07-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Sorry, no capability of quickly posting a picture. I will try to describe it better:

The two wire (red and green) connector plugs-in right inbetween the ignition switch connector and the steering column shaft, so its only about an inch from the key switch and an inch from the steering shaft (both the switch plug connector and mystery connector plug in from the back side)

Im pretty sure it has something to do with the ignition switch, and it is separate from the turn signal cluster and wiring bundle (which has the wiper control).

Also what Im trying to find out: this is on my track car, so since the connector is broke and the little components are likely to be a pain trying to reinstall, is it for some unnecessary feature that I can just get rid of.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:17 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year car are you working on?
Does it (did it) have airbags?
I'll check my car when I get home.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:16 PM
aribop
Race Car

Jim,
The wires in question plug into the back of the ignition switch right between the big round connector and the steering column. They plug into a switch which is what I'm guessing came apart on yours. I looked at the wiring diagrams and can't find the sucker. If you need the switch, let me know as I have a spare. I might have to send you the whole ignition switch?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Car is an 87 Turbo that did have airbags.

I could not find it on the diagram either and gave up. I ended up using a small mirror to see back side of the connector, and found it has a small screw holding it in. I removed the ignition connector and then removed the unknown piece. Having all the parts in my hand, I was able to figure out how to put it back together and reinstall it. It has two small springs, a moving plastic piece and a moving copper connector that apparently disengages the two wires when the key is shut off, and engages both wires when the key is turned on. I still have no idea what what its for.

Thanks for looking into it for me.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 AM
aribop
Race Car

Jim,
I picked up an '85 euro 944 that had a similar switch mounted to the top of the ignition switch. Upon further inspection, the wires off this little switch ran to a relay that controled the overhead light. Unfortunately all this wiring was not factory so I don't know if the switch you have also hooks into the inside lighting circuit.
Glad you got it back together.
Albert

Quick Reply: Plug/connector next to Ignition inside dash??