Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REVIEW: Centerforce DF clutch, 12 lb flywheel on N/A...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 11:00 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REVIEW: Centerforce DF clutch, 12 lb flywheel on N/A...

THE GOOD:
All I can say is...WOW! The car accelerates so much quicker now, it feels more like I added 15-20hp easy. Clutch engagement is so solid that I was able to break traction and get some rear-end wiggle shifting into 3RD GEAR under hard accel going around a turn...at nearly 4,500 feet elevation! The tires spun a little going into 2nd.

The rubber center of my stock clutch was toast. The car drive just fine, and it wasn't slipping...but since I bought the car this way, I didn't realize it wasn't normal. That is, not until I had the Centerforce put in. It felt like a completely new car!

THE BAD:
Nothing really. The only "adverse" effect is that if you want to accelerate hard, you need a few more revs off the line before letting the clutch go. No trouble on hills, no trouble anywhere else. This is the 3rd vehicle I've installed a lightened flywheel in, and the 3rd time I have NO idea where all these people come up with the nightmare stories about the "downsides." I recommend it.

THE UGLY:
Just 2 weeks after the clutch, I think I may have either blown the H/G near the #4 cyl, or cracked the #4 piston. Just my friggin' luck. After a month of occaisional pinging, a horrible misfire developed just after I began a 5 hour drive to central CA...I had to be there by a certain time, so I was forced to complete the drive with the misfire. It felt like a severely fouled or destroyed plug, and very high revs would temporarily clean the plug enough to drive normally for breif periods of time. When I got to central CA, I took out the plugs. #4 was damp and fouled beyond all recognition. Expect an update on this after I run some dye through the motor and do a compression check.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Russian Rocket
Pro

thanks for the review, always wondered how these feel in 944s
I had one in my Miata and lowed it, the car reved like a bike.
GL with figuring out your Engine problems.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:14 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you lighten the stock flywheel or did you get an actual lightened one? If you lightened the stock wheel do you have pics of where you took weight off? I want to run something around a 12lb wheel but I haven't completely decided where to take the weight off from.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:19 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

I was so close to gettng the Centerforce a month ago but decided on the stock (minus rubber center) Porsche clutch kit. Glad to know if there is a next time the Centerforce if reputable.

Sorry for your other engine demise hope you get it on the road for the summer.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

I wonder how a stock clutch with a lightweight flywheel would be?

The Centerforce has more pressure than a basics Sachs spring, I wonder if takeoffs would be more forgiving on the clutch

Quick Reply: REVIEW: Centerforce DF clutch, 12 lb flywheel on N/A...