Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to reduce engine vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:26 AM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to reduce engine vibration?

Just picked up a euro 86 924s automatic which I plan to restore. Used to own a 86 944 turbo a decade ago so I'm aware of the inherent engine vibration of Porsche's big straight four.

Besides replacing the engine mounts and transmission mounts is there anything else I should look into? It's not that bad, just looked to restore to as new condition.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:44 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motor mounts are the big culprit (transaxle mount less so, for engine vibrations at least). The other major cause is the balance shaft belts being off, usually because of past mechanics either having it a few teeth off or getting one shaft wrong (180 degrees out).

Make sure those things are golden and that should cut out on most of the vibrations! PS, use only new OEM motor mounts (the more expensive ones). Theres aftermarket ones that usually die after 10k miles or less (sometimes even 5k miles).
Old 06-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Yeah - what Brian said, eh.

Another thing to look at... I did the belt job on my car immediately after I bought it. I was careful to note the orientation and location of all belt sprokets. This was a mistake. I just did the belts again a few months ago. I paid very close attention to everything this time around. I discovered that one of the timing belt sprockets was in fact installed inside-out. This puts the alignment marks in the wrong orientation. After correcting this issue the car ran smoother than ever.

Clark's Garage and Arnnworx are both very useful resources for this. I originally used the Haynes manual when I did the first belt job. Now I rarely even look at that manual. It seems its only real value is for looking up torque settings.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 06-27-2005 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: How to reduce engine vibration?