Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S ?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I would call Bob Farmer at Farmer's Automotive: (317) 894-8185

Tell him Micah sent you, and just ask what he thinks about these cars. He's local to you and will hear the words "87 944S" and give you an ear-full. He has more practical experience than anyone else out there, and has seen first hand some of the pit-falls of the type of car you are looking at.

My problem with the S (and bear in mind, one of my best friends owns one that I know and love - so please don't take offense if you have one in the garage as well...) is that it has one extra weak-link that the 8vs do not and it's performance does not justify that weakness. The tensioner/upper-pad/chain itself issues these cars have is something that cannot be stressed enough. With an S2 or 968, it's considerably easier to accept that weakness and move on - the performance and all-around benefits are considerably greater. I can tell you that the S is not consistently faster from a roll to 70 MPH than a well-driven 8v. It weighs more than an 8v and it didn't really offer any noticeable advantage over 8vs in the Auto-x's I watched it compete in. Bob is going to tell you that you're taking an awfully big risk buying this car.

That having been said, for only $4100 it really sounds like a hard car to pass on... provided that it does check out. I'm guessing that you are dealing with Terry at Euromotorwerks. Call Bob. He will give you the skinny on the car... he's brutally honest and can impart more knowledge than you can imagine.

And please tell him that Leslie and I said hi

Micah
Old 06-27-2005, 12:21 AM
TrevorW
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Micah. I've been using Autohaus Merkle a lot in the past and am very happy with them but I've heard a lot of good things about Farmer and will definately give him a call. With the shape this car is in and the history, if it was an 8 valve I would have bought it already. I'm just really weary about taking on a car that I really don't know much about. As an added bonus my dad is telling me to buy an American car. :-( It made him happy when I sold my first 944 to pay for my pilots license when I was 17, a good move, but ever since I traded my second one I've been waiting to buy the perfect example. I'm not sure who Terry is at Euromotorworks, this car is for sale by a private seller. You are an air force pilot right?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:20 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

OK,

A lot is made of the chain tensioner "issue". It's a pretty simple replacement though. It may cost a few hundred bucks for the part (unless you just do the pads), but it is an easy job for a backyard wrench.

I'll agree that the S does not have a lot of extra performance compared to the 2 valve NA, but I would NOT be put off by having to replace one extra ($350) part every 60K or so. If you car checks out (PPI) and is clean, then it sounds like a good deal.

I have an "S" too. I was actually looking for an NA, but I found my S at a good price and that was fine for me.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:41 PM
TrevorW
Racer

I think I'm leaning towards an 8 valve N/A. Luckily I'm not in too much of a hurry, would like to have one by the fest, but I want to buy the best one I can afford. If anyone is interested in a beautiful 944S in Indy I'd be glad to forward you his info.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trevor,
Is that the one on cars.com?
Old 06-28-2005, 12:23 AM
TrevorW
Racer

Probably, asking price is $4800, said he would let it go betweed $4100 and $4800.

Quick Reply: 944S ?s