Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smell of raw gas after filling up the tank.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smell of raw gas after filling up the tank.

Filled up the tank at Chevron the other day – but the pump island sloped a little with the car nose down. Topped up the tank as usual.

As I was driving away, I noticed a strong smell of raw fuel. When I parked the car I immediately noticed a pool of raw fuel forming right below the fuel filler neck – it appeared to be coming out close to the fuel pump area. I did not have time to put the car up to check the pump.

A few days later, I went to start the car – back to normal except for the smell of raw fuel. No more leaking, no raw fuel drips etc. I just crawled under the car and it is now bone dry. Inspected the fuel lines in the engine area and they are all OK. It is obviously around the fuel tank / filler area / fuel pump / fuel filter area.

Any ideas before I start taking things apart? Did I end up with fuel in the carbon canister during the fill up?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:01 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe your overfill hose has disconnected or has cracked and is leaking inside your car. If you pull away the carpet inside the hatch on the gas filler side and you will see a hose attached close to your gas cap. Double check the shape of it. HTH

Quick Reply: Smell of raw gas after filling up the tank.