Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Brian Minson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny not shifting

I have a question regarding our 1983 944 5speed. This morning while on my way to the office, she wouldn't shift into 2nd. I was able to force her into 3rd. However, when I came to a stop light, I wasn't able to move into any gear. I was able to shut the car off and easily shift into 1st, start the car and drive the extra 500 feet to the magazine office.

New clutch at about 10,000 miles ago, and recently had a broken metal brake line (which was bleed).

Any ideas?

Thanks, and check out the new issue in PDF!

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
bminson@9magazine.com
http://www.9magazine.com

PS: Someone contact me about 944Fest.. would like to help sponsor it!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Minson
I have a question regarding our 1983 944 5speed. This morning while on my way to the office, she wouldn't shift into 2nd. I was able to force her into 3rd. However, when I came to a stop light, I wasn't able to move into any gear. I was able to shut the car off and easily shift into 1st, start the car and drive the extra 500 feet to the magazine office.

New clutch at about 10,000 miles ago, and recently had a broken metal brake line (which was bleed).

Any ideas?

Thanks, and check out the new issue in PDF!

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
bminson@9magazine.com
http://www.9magazine.com

PS: Someone contact me about 944Fest.. would like to help sponsor it!
Hey Brian,

It sounds like the clutch is not disengaging, possibly due to air in the system or a faulty clutch master/slave. Does the clutch pedal feel funky, does it fall to the floor or not return entirely on its own?

Check the easiest thing first, bleed the clutch hydraulics with a motive power bleeder and see if that is it. It may be if you were recently working on the system.

Jeremy
Old 06-20-2005, 02:52 PM
hrsteel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem, except that I could shift whenever I was below 2k revs. Mine fixed itself after sitting for five months; I suspect that it was a gravity bleed. You can measure the throw of the slave cylinder throught the sight hole in the bell housing. I thinK the spec in on Clarks Garage.

Quick Reply: Tranny not shifting