Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warning light disconnection or repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 05:44 AM
unclebobg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question warning light disconnection or repair

The warning light for my seatbelt stays on all the time and so does the one for my airbags. This is for a 1987 944T (951). Can anyone tell me how to fix or disconnect either? I understand from friend that turning off the airbag light requires reset by dealer, involving checking entire airbag system, a very expensive proposition. While I'd love to know if my airbags are working, at the moment I can't afford the price. However, I need to get this light turned out or the state won't pass me on the emissions test. (They say it is an automatic fail if any warning lights are on.) I know the seatbelts work, it is only the light that is stuck on. I assume a loose wire connection somewhere. Any help in how to turn them off at least temporarily is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most 944/951 owners with your budgetary constraints usually find that bubblegum and duct tape used in a creative combination will work for most essential repairs. Unless of course it involves leaking fuel -- then JB Weld seems to be the repair solution of choice.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:44 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Be careful - I know it CA they check to make sure the light comes on when you turn on the ignition THEN goes off - you can't just disconnect your CEL
Old 06-17-2005, 11:30 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

I extinguished my brake wear indicator by surgical extraction. Of course, you need to get a little more creative if the inspectors expect the bulbs to actually indicate something. I guess the key thing is that the inspector doesn't necessarilly have to know exactly what it is they indicate...

***Please note that the suggestions below are not approved or endorsed for vehicles operated on public highways***

Now that the legal disclaimer is out of the way...

If you're handy with a soldering iron and willing to take apart the instrument cluster, I suppose you could run a pair of wires from the airbag bulb to one of the correctly working indicator lights and wire it in parallel (oil pressure maybe?). These indicator bulbs are only 1.2 watt (0.1 amp) so there shouldn't be any problem with additional load on the working circuit. At least that way, it will go on for the bulb check, then go off once the car is started.

The seatbelt indicator would be a bigger problem, as they will probably look for it to remain on untill the belt is fastened. Check the circuit for simple things, like a bad connection or switch at the reciever end. If that checks out OK, you could jerry rig a paralell circuit from a 12 volt source, through the switch to the indicator bulb. I believe you only need to worry about the driver's side.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:51 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Default I have the same problem

I thought those lights in combination MEANT something. I tried resetting the airbag warning light, and either I'm too clusy, or somethings really wrong. How can I find out exactly what the problem is. I like warning lights, they are handy when something really breaks. Has anyone had luck with a procedure or checklist of things to go over? I REALLY want those lights gone, much like the origional poster.

-Heybiff

p.s. went throught he Clarkes garage dealie.

Quick Reply: warning light disconnection or repair