Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the rear via eccentric...bolt wont come loose!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the rear via eccentric...bolt wont come loose!

Hey guys IM trying to lower the rear but even with a 500ft/lb impact the eccentric bolt wont come loose. Do I need a wrench on the other side to keep it from turning? Any tips would be great thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 10:35 PM
MTM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly, mine wouldn't come off until I swapped the air hose for a larger one and eliminated the quick-release fittings since those can restrict the air flow. The impact wrench needs really high pressure and lots of air flow to work at its max capacity (ours is rated at like 600 ft/lb for removing bolts I think). Also, spray lots and lots of liquid wrench in there!
Old 06-16-2005, 10:43 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My technique involved this:

My 18" breaker bar, some extenstions, a socket (duh) and a jack stand set to the same height as the bolt. Used the extensions to bring the bar out past the fender. Laid the extensions on the jack stand. Attatched the bar. Then I stood on the bar. A few ginger weight shifts... Nothing.... Harder... Nothing. I jumped, landed on the bar... SNAP (sound of something rolling on the floor)... I twisted a Snap-ON extension apart...

Got another one, repeated with a bigger jump. I may have even used a pipe. Then it broke free.

Im about 220 pounds, jumping on a 18" or longer bar. Thats what it took. Several jumps too.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:45 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what the deal was with my impact gun (what redlyne_mr2 and I were using), but it just wasn't kicking very hard. I used it to remove some axle nuts in the past (which came off like butter I might add), and it left me with sore shoulders that night. This time, I could easily hold the impact gun. Air pressure was the same both times, fiddled with the **** on the bottom, and I got it where it seemed to be kicking the hardest, but still not going hard enough. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to air tools. This impact gun does go through an awful lot of air though. The box said it was rated for 600lb/ft, but the gun itself only says 500. Still, it should be strong enough to get these damn nuts off.

Just to make sure we are doing everything right, we're trying to remove the 2 24mm nuts on the outside of each spring plate, I presume this is correct?

I tried using my torque wrench (18") with an extension, but the extension was twisting so badly I called it off before it broke. I estimate we were at nearly 250lb/ft when this was happening. I was almost off the ground pushing down on it, and I'm about 240lbs.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:29 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Originally Posted by theedge
My technique involved this:

My 18" breaker bar, some extenstions, a socket (duh) and a jack stand set to the same height as the bolt. Used the extensions to bring the bar out past the fender. Laid the extensions on the jack stand. Attatched the bar. Then I stood on the bar. A few ginger weight shifts... Nothing.... Harder... Nothing. I jumped, landed on the bar... SNAP (sound of something rolling on the floor)... I twisted a Snap-ON extension apart...

Got another one, repeated with a bigger jump. I may have even used a pipe. Then it broke free.

Im about 220 pounds, jumping on a 18" or longer bar. Thats what it took. Several jumps too.
Thats what it took for mine also... Except I only weigh 180
Real PITA
Old 06-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, this will be challenging then. I guess I'll have to get my beefiest extensions. I'll also see what's the deal with my impact gun.
At least we're doing the right things
Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 PM
944_ono
Intermediate

just lowered my car via the eccentric bolts.

Similar procedures as you guys did. But i used this stuff called goop penetrant liquid. Squirt some on, wait, tap it with a hammer, wait, squirt some on. Then i used a socket with an 18 inch breaker bar, no socket extension. But, i slipped a 4 foot steel pipe over the bar.

I tried just slamming on the bar. No go. Then my younger 150 lb brother gave it a try. I fount that the trick is just applying a steady force for a good 5 to 10 seconds at a time with maybe a little bounce on it. He got them off on the left side the first try. I did it on the right side withing the 2nd or 3rd tries. And btw i didnt use a wrench on the back side, i just didnt put the penetrating stuff on it and it held itelf.

Good luck to all who use this thread as a reference. And yes, i know it was an old thread, but it came up when i searched so i decided to add my 2 cents instead of creating a new post
Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 PM
ChazTech
Intermediate

the more extensions you use the less torque your putting to the bolt. a wrench on the back isnt needed just yet, only when you can get it free and spinning. Spray a penetrating lubricant, SOAK it, let it sit then repeat a couple times. Use a torch to heat the bolt w/o burning up the rod bushing. Use impact to loosen, if its still stubborn, turn the impact to tighten, hit it a couple times, then loosen, repeat and you should get it to spin, then use the wrench and hold the nut while impacting the bolt.

Quick Reply: Lowering the rear via eccentric...bolt wont come loose!