Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Spec looking for Nor-Cal Racers

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 944 Spec looking for Nor-Cal Racers

Hey most of you guys have heard about 944 spec. Well we are seeing lots of cars and drivers participating in Arizona events and Southern California events.

Northern California Particiapation is light. In fact we have one guy looking for company to race with. All NASA Nor Cal Races are 944-spec races and you can sign up for the class with ease.

We are are looking to start a core group in Northern California. We have the on built race car now and another one it the process. All we need are a few more guys to build a critical mass to make 944 spec take off there. You need not be a "racer" to be part of the fun. NASA has a DE program so you can build you 944 from street car in to a 944-spec car over time and spend your time doing DE's developing & honing skills why you enjoy the fun being in the 944-spec camp.

Details on 944spec can be found at http://www.944spec.com
also 944-spec specific talk can be found at the http://www.nasaforums.com look for the 944-spec forum.

Feel free to contact myself or the Az or So Cal Series directors for questions.
PS The Nor Cal Series Director Spot is open!
Old 06-14-2005, 03:15 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know -- I live in both NorCal and SoCal, and I've wondered at times about how to get involved. I can figure out wrenching/building a car bit, but the bit I could not figure out is how to get NASA license.

How does that work? Do you just start showing up to HPDE classes like these? http://www.nasaproracing.com/schedules/norcal.html
Old 06-14-2005, 03:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Joe,

NASA runs events most every weekend. Nor cal and so cal both run 944-spec races and HPDE events. To get a licences in NASA is straightforward.

1) Do so HPDE events. If you are noivce they have schools. They also have graduated run groups as your skill level increases. You can run in HPDE for ever and have fun or you can use them to build skills as an approach to racing. Instructors are availible for all HPDE levels for you to build your skills

2) Once you are comfortable driving around the track at speed and safely negociate slower/faster traffic you can apply for racings school. I am not sure about Nor-Cal, but I know so cal has racing schools twice per year. Here you can learn the final skills needed to be safe racer. Upon successfull completion of that school you can begin to race. In most cases you don't need a "race prepared car" to do the racing school, but you do need one for racing.

Now if you want to get into 944-spec or just hang around 944-spec just show up and look for the spec cars. So Cal has plenty and there will be a bunch at Willow Springs in July. The spec guys are great and will answer any questions you have. Feel free also to hang in the pit area with them even if you are just doing DE with the car. More likely than not you can get one to instruct you in your car to learn some to finer points.

Also the nasaforms area has main place were 944-spec discussion (both on topic and smack-talk occur).
Old 06-14-2005, 06:20 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like fun but I think I need to graduate and start making the big bucks first. Give me about 14 months and I'm (hopefully) in.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:37 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

I've begun down the path by running my 968 at nasa events, but I'm not yet sold on the class...I'm basically building my suspension to the spec rules so I can swap it over.

In nor-cal, I'm told that going thru the DE groups is basically the "school". Logical, but more lengthy. Probably better for someone with no experience, and more frustrating for someone with experience.

Why don't you nor-cal guys come out and do some DEs? Next one is at thunderhill 6/25-26.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:42 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ckathens
Sounds like fun but I think I need to graduate and start making the big bucks first. Give me about 14 months and I'm (hopefully) in.
No, you just need $149 and one free day.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/nasa_e.../?event_id=231
Old 06-14-2005, 06:45 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
e. In most cases you don't need a "race prepared car" to do the racing school, but you do need one for racing.
What level of prep is required for the race school?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I'll be going out to Thunderhill in July and August. I don't know if my car will turn out spec legal. I have a few ideas with composites that I wan't to experiment with, which violate spec rules.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Driving Concepts puts on a race school that is recognized by NASA, but it is a race school not just a track school so some prior driving experience is a must (track days, DEs, etc). There were people in bone stock M3s, vettes, mustangs, subarus, etc when I took the class so you don't need a race prepped car to complete the school. I took it at Willow Springs but I know they offer classes at Thunderhill too.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:08 PM
M758
Race Director

We just had 944-spec guy running at Thunderhill with NASA.

Name is Ken Huey.

Here is his write-up on his first DE day in the car.. Note he comes from supercharged 996.
http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5550
Old 06-14-2005, 11:59 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

hey, chris let me know when you go, i'll come along or go like last time. i'm looking to do 944-spec in the near future, however, i've some ways to go money-wise. but my car is actually within spec and can be entered, now the driver- on the other hand, needs some training.. with some persistence chris will get my *** motivated so i don't have to just sit and watch the whole time like a poser. I got two of 'em, why the hell not?!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:30 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deni durrell
hey, chris let me know when you go, i'll come along or go like last time. i'm looking to do 944-spec in the near future, however, i've some ways to go money-wise. but my car is actually within spec and can be entered, now the driver- on the other hand, needs some training.. with some persistence chris will get my *** motivated so i don't have to just sit and watch the whole time like a poser. I got two of 'em, why the hell not?!
I think you need a few bits of safety equip. before you're "within" spec...Get your "track" car fit for the track instead of buying more parts yard specials!

Too many guys are concerned with building a "race car" to begin racing. It's best to begin building the race car driver and then get the car when it's time to go racing!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:37 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Don't be knocking my 2 hundo fiddy e30 hombre! that thing will be bling before you know it at least it has less dents than your grocery getter + lsd! D'oh!
besides, helmet, harness, harness bar isn't too far off, buddy! Pcar#1 was born "in" spec! Anyway that's what i said, regarding the driver, not the car. Pff!

Hey- wanna grab a beer @ Bissap? I'm gonna cruise over.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:40 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Serge944
I'll be going out to Thunderhill in July and August. I don't know if my car will turn out spec legal. I have a few ideas with composites that I wan't to experiment with, which violate spec rules.
Who are you running with in July?

There are some track days at Buttonwillow the first weekends in July that I'm thinking about doing. Anyone else going to be there?

http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/
Old 06-15-2005, 01:08 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deni durrell
Don't be knocking my 2 hundo fiddy e30 hombre! that thing will be bling before you know it at least it has less dents than your grocery getter + lsd! D'oh!
besides, helmet, harness, harness bar isn't too far off, buddy! Pcar#1 was born "in" spec! Anyway that's what i said, regarding the driver, not the car. Pff!

Hey- wanna grab a beer @ Bissap? I'm gonna cruise over.
racing seat, fire system, roll cage, racing suit/gloves, $$$$

Quick Reply: 944 Spec looking for Nor-Cal Racers