Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dodging bullets cont. (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Sam I am
or Sam O
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry dodging bullets cont. (I think)

Boy am I lucky! So my water pump bearings have been noisy since I bought the car from the clueless PO and I was going to redo all belts, rollers and the waterpump this past weekend. As it happens I end it up going to see my girlfriend in D.C., a 500 mile round trip drive. I decided to take my dads car instead (hmm... he seemed to enjoy driving my car ).

Good thing because on my way to work this morning I smell rubber burning. I think to my self the heck could be burning, and see a tractor trailer burning up one of his mudflaps underneath his rear wheel. No biggie. Wrong. I make a left turn then my temp gauge skyrockets. I pulled over, pop the hood and smell that I was burning up my belts and coolant is boiling out my resovior doh. Here, I think my water pump roller failed, killing the water pump and letting the car overheat, as for the burning rubber I am guessing my t-belt or balance belt are now rubbing against something. Had to have a flat bed come, then show the guy how to use stinkin straps. The car still runs but I am anxious to make sure the t-belt didnt skip a tooth and no head damage is done. I dont think any serious damage is done.

Moral: fix problems that seem small right now!!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow.. it sure wasn't probably another few seconds until your timing belt snapped... it's probably the waterpump roller that seized!

Good luck.. and kudo's to watching your temp gauge..
Old 06-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Quit starting the car.

Micah
Old 06-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Sam I am
or Sam O
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry Micah jones, I havent started the car since I shut it off nor do I plan to. I know what can happen if I keep cranking the engine, bad bad things.

Quick Reply: dodging bullets cont. (I think)