Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone fix me up with these parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can anyone fix me up with these parts?

I picked up a used power antenna a while back, but it didn't come with the hardware to attach it to the fender, so its basically useless, unless I can find someone who can fix me up with the upper fender hardware, or a complete unit thats not working but has all the hardware. This one works just fine, just not able to mount it. Its an aftermarket Hirshmann Auta 2040 model. Yeah, I know, a new one complete sells for around $30.00. I didn't want to go that route..........yet.

I'm also looking for a stock shift lever cap in black. Both items are being put into the project car in my sig. Anyone find themselfs with these parts, I'd love to hear from ya. Pic is of what I currently have.

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2005, 08:34 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken, can't help you with any of those parts but the gods may be telling you not to use a power antenna. Those things drive me nuts as try as you might you can never keep them lubricated correctly and they jam in retraction. Then the drive cable breaks. I'd go with an old coat hanger before monkeying around with one of those again.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:56 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

go to rennbay and get the fuba-type antenna....
Old 06-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

fuba antenna is even more of a pain to install, I may have that hardware for you, let me search the mess in the garage.

also, do go to rennbay for one of those shifter caps, they have some really nice looking ones.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:38 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Ken,

I think that those hirschman's came with several sets of mounting hardware. I know that I still have a leftover set but it was for a more angled fender than ours. Do you not have anything for yours? I'll check and see what I have and let you know.

I also kept the original 15lb hirshman mounting set and antenna. I'll look to see if those work as well.

Michael
Old 06-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IceShark
Ken, can't help you with any of those parts but the gods may be telling you not to use a power antenna. Those things drive me nuts as try as you might you can never keep them lubricated correctly and they jam in retraction. Then the drive cable breaks. I'd go with an old coat hanger before monkeying around with one of those again.

I've been kinda wondering just what the longevity might be on these myself. I've installed brand new Auta 2040's in my '83 and in the avatar car. They've only been on for about a year, or a little longer, but so far so good. I try to clean them when I wash the cars, and spray a little tri-flow on a rag, and wipe the mast down with it once in a while. The old coat hanger trick, I've done before, but I don't think I could look myself in the mirror at all doing that to one of these cars, even if it is just a project car that I'm trying to bring back into half decent mechanical/electrical shape as cheaply as I can. The "Porsche Gods" are always trying to tell me something........I'm just to stubborn to pay attention to it most the time.

I have plenty of parts off of the original Hirschmann stock antennas, but they are of a larger size, so the above fender nut and hardware, and hardware just under the fender won't work on these aftermarket replacements. I even have a Fuba setup off of a parts car, but, I can't bring myself to do that either. If I can't come up with any parts for it here, I'll try a local dismantler, and with a little luck, they might be able to fix me up as I think these are fairly common replacement antennas. That, or........I could always put on a fixed stalk antenna that came off of another parts car I have to. I just don't like seeing an antenna sticking up on these cars all the time. Personal preference, ya know, besides, I'm probably just going to turn around and sell this car anyway once I feel its in good enough shape to keep my "conscience" clean.

As far as a shift lever cap goes, I'm just looking for something "decent". Not after flashy or new, unless that becomes my last option. I have an extra brown one, but need black for the project car.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Can anyone fix me up with these parts?