Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new Valves

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new Valves

Does anyone have a write up for this. I bent 2 intake valves so I'm replacing them this weekend. Does anyone have a write up on how do complete the job. I couldn't find anything on Clarks. The head is off and ready to go..thanks
Old 06-10-2005, 07:35 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

you realy should take the head and valves to a local machine shop.
Let them install the valves , inspect the guides, replace seals and mill the head if required.

It really wouldnt be that expensive and they have all the tools they need.
I just finished replacing my head gasket and while the head was off, I removed , cleaned, measured and lapped the valves, measured the guides and installed new seals and let a race shop mill the head a bit for a good seal.
I have access to a full machine shop at work and without that, it would have been pretty hard to do.
The Sears spring compressor I had wouldnt compress the springs without hitting the head, so I had to fabricate some extentions.
If I had to replace any valves, I wouldnt have tried it on my own.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:46 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

They can also check that the other valves are not bent. Sometimes this is hard to see unless you remove them.

To remove (and install) the valves you need a C shaped valve spring compressor. You have to lap the valve to the seat and possibly regrind the valve set if it's too worn.

The 83

Quick Reply: Installing new Valves