Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT replica motor Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 12:32 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously the easy way out is to just take a 924 S and drop a regular 951 engine in there (following with all of the engine, suspension and brake mods). if you wanted to be a real bad ***, then you take an early 924 and weld new mounting points for the 951 motor (with a custom intake manifold, head, turbo just like Porsche did for 425 Hp, but that was on a 924 block, I think!) and then start on your body work, computer, suspension and brake additions. But the only thing i can visualise at this point is of a lot of money/bling/bread being thrown down. The former idea is akin to the idea of taking an NA and doing a 951 engine swap. For pure "esoterica", go for it. For practicality's sake, you're on the wrong tip, but I won't make that call.

Crossmember dimensions for 924 (early) and 944/924 S:
http://www.ddurrelltech.com/pcar/cro...dim/index.html
Old 06-09-2005, 12:33 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

why not put a engine similar to the doom racecar the 3.2 IIRC 700+hp beast
Old 06-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

suspention and brake mods?

this is what I dont get about everyones mentality(not trying to be mean deni). sure those are cool. but necessary......no.

everytime someone brings up the words NA and turbo in the same sentence. it seems everyone is stuck on suspention and tranny and brakes when all you want to do is....turbo your na. lol.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:42 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
the studs are the same. they have the exact same bottom end. exact.
eh, i'm not so sure about that. the experienced engine builders can speak up, but i'm pretty sure the blocks are different, with different block numbers relating to different water passages. maybe i'm wrong.

but i DO agree that many people are interested in having a fast engine, but don't seem to have the corresponding brakes or suspension to harness that power. hmmm.....
Old 06-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

well. actaully you might be right. I got caught up in the correcting of the stig

an S is a 2.5 L...so is a 951. an S head will bolt onto an NA ( because an S is just an NA with more valves)...and so will a 951 head. so AHA! yes.
they should be the exact same.

The S2 head is another story..but the S..no.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:51 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
http://edge.no-ip.com/index.php?d=rennlist%2F924cgt

Those are the pics ive found of CGTs, might be handy.
BUSTED!!!!

Old 06-09-2005, 12:58 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Campeck
heh. I really dont see why not. you make a custom exhaust. and modify the stock 951 intake manifold to fit on the S head. and the 951 computer and KLR should keep all the knock issues (if there ARE any) under control. get a wideband and an apexi fuel controller and tune away....
Anyone who suggests tuning a turbo engine with an AVC-R should not be taken seriously. Campeck, building a reliable, high hp turbo engine is not as easy as you're making it sound. Please stop making misleading and invalid statements.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

i know of plenty of ppl who tune their high hp turbos with them. ( high hp as in spinning all the way through second) and have upgraded turbos.
whats bad about them? 250 rpm increment controll. tells duty cycle and all that. combined with a wideband, I dont see what the problem is.

he never said anything about uber high hp either. I doubt he will be treading the razor edge.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:06 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

The problem I have with AVC-R is the same problem I have with people building home made boost controllers with Home Depot parts. Why in gods name would you spend multiple thousands of dollars on an engine build and then bull **** with a cheap part? The cheapest I would personally go would be SMT-6, after seeing the power of Tec3 though, I wish I had just gone with that in the first place. I cannot justify spending large sums of money to build something and then risk it with some cheap "band aid" of a solution. IMO.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:14 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

yeah. i understand. your car versus the car this guy wants to build is a whole 'nother story!
your car is treading the razor edge(i think..by the looks of it ) and if it were mine i wouldnt use the afc either. (btw im using the SDS standalone...no bandaid fix there.)

this guy is just talking about getting a 951 engine. and putting an S head on it. maybe running a littl emore boost. if he wants to go all crazy with 25psi and what not, then hell no dont get the afc.

but for a cheap, fast engine with cheap go fast mods, the afc would do fine.

I hope your not implying im using homedepot parts for my turbo?!?!

even though that copper tubing looked good for a custom oil feed line and it was only 5.99. did that slip!?

Last edited by Campeck; 06-09-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:22 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Heh, I wasnt implying anything about your build, all the power to you for attempting it. However, I think going the *cheap* route, on a 944 turbo, especially for tuning is a mistake and is asking for trouble. My car is trouble, but that's a whole nother story, another post, and another time.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Deni -- how goes it? Haven't seen you on the list in FOREVER. If you don't remember me I sold you that maroon steering wheel several years back. I'm pretty sure it was you, I recognize your name.

And so this isn't a complete hijack, Campeck, suspension and brakes should fall hand in hand with horsepower. No, braking is not a function of horsepower, but theoretically the more power you have the faster you get to a certain speed the faster you should be able to bleed off that speed. Energy management. Go ***** to the walls into the turn, kill your speed (energy) with big brakes, and go ***** to the walls out of the turn regaining your speed (energy) with a good HP/weight ratio. Same thing in fighter jets. It's the jet who can bleed off energy and regain energy the fastest that will win the dog fight. In laymans terms that is. Which is why the F-16 is such an out-effing-standing close in air 2 air fighter jet.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:51 AM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

But 951 brakes aren't necessary at all. Steel lines and some sticker pads would stop the car just fine.

Same with suspension. Why the heck people think it's more "proper" to put an 80,000+ mile 951 suspension on as an "upgrade", I have NO idea. Just go aftermarket.

Regardless, it's not like a stock 951 makes 400hp. I think the N'A susp and brakes would be just fine unless you're planning on tracking the car. For a daily driver, you shouldn't be driving at the outer limits of the brakes or suspension anyway!
Old 06-09-2005, 04:55 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Campeck:

>suspention and brake mods?
>this is what I dont get about everyones mentality(not trying to be mean deni). sure those are cool. but necessary......no.

Nothing is absolutely necessary, but to echo Mike (MPD47), why not? If someone is going to put the time, effort and money into this type of project, then I think it's most fitting to put better stuff on there (aftermarket or OEM brakes/susp.) After all, this isn't a parade float, right ? Or maybe it is, since we don't exactly know the original intention of the thread author. Why would anyone just install a motor and not touch the rest of the car, except to add "cool" bodywork akin to C-GT circa 1981? I mean this should still carry the diginity of a Porsche, right? The car will have more power, why not give it better brakes? I mean if Porsche thought that 944 NA brakes were good enough for a 951, then why did they uprate them from 1985 and again as the power increased 30Hp to 247Hp with ones that stop a 928 S4? Especially if the this pipe dream motor is going to be tweaked with a 16-valve head and Home Depot computer accoutrements. Also, the gears in a 951 trans are taller for a reason, hence gear changes should be order, at least I to IV; leaving the NA V in there.

Matt:
I'm still around and still using that wheel! I just lurk more than post since after so long, intreresting stuff takes longer to pop up. This particular one is tired, but i couldn't resist.

>But 951 brakes aren't necessary at all. Steel lines and some sticker pads would stop the car just fine.
>Same with suspension. Why the heck people think it's more "proper" to put an 80,000+ mile 951 suspension on as an "upgrade", I have NO idea. Just go aftermarket.
>Regardless, it's not like a stock 951 makes 400hp. I think the N'A susp and brakes would be just fine unless you're planning on tracking the car. For a daily driver, you shouldn't be driving at the outer limits of the brakes or suspension anyway!

Urin 2nd... I never exactly said to install old equipment, but 951 spec stuff would be appropriate (and expensive), I still think. Also, with all the tweaks this person was discussing, I would think (with enough money) that he could push upwards of 350+Hp easily with the right knowledge and tuning. Again, who'd put in all that work to make a pseudo-Carrera GT to not take it to the track, to fully see what kind of power it could make? If I were to build a car like the one that is the subject of this thread, I wouldn't even bother trying to register and drive that kind of monstrosity legally on the road! what a headache! (I speak for myself living here in Calif with smog rules and all that).

Anyway if this person wants to do a Carrera GT replica, he can always check out http://www.924board.org/. A lot of people there can offer some good tips.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:45 AM
944CS
Drifting

250 rpm increments, you call that tuning?....and when you slap that 4 valve head on there, make sure you change air flow sensors

Quick Reply: Carrera GT replica motor Ideas