Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash-to-Pass = Lights pop up? BONUS: What should I buy???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 04:23 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash-to-Pass = Lights pop up? BONUS: What should I buy???

I was just curious...is there any way to make them do this? I don't like the fact that I can't flash my lights unless the headlights are actually on. Is it possible to make the FTP pop the lights up???

BONUS QUESTION:
I am planning on spending a little money on the car this week. I am torn between the following:

(A) Corbeau Forza driver's seat, Nology wires, Nology coil, Sparco strut brace
- My driver's seat is a "comfort" seat with no lateral support, and is torn up pretty badly. My wires and coil are original and have some miles on them.

(B) Set of Yoko ES100's
- My tires are mis-matched Michelins...205/60/16 front (non-performance tread) and 225/55/16 MXV-4 or whatever they are called in the rear. Plenty of tread left.

(C) Set of 968 M030 swaybars (30mm/19mm)
- The car is all stock suspension-wise, and has small diamater OE sways.

I am moving for the summer to a place where twisty roads are in abundance, and there is NO traffic. I want to enjoy the drive, and I like to drive hard. Which would enhance the drive the most??? Opinions are appreciated! Thanks guys!
Old 06-06-2005, 04:30 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Tires will be the biggest bang for buck.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:33 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My foglights flash when I flash-to-pass.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:35 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm, I'll have to check to see if my fogs flashed. I've never noticed any light before.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough call. If your rear is excessively large (or small), then you probably find yourself sloshing about in the seats you have. This is probably forcing you to become rather creative with your body muscles when taking thoose enthused turns (Which is certainly taking away from the fun you could be having).

Tires, Tires, Tires. Its the only way power is transferred to the ground (unless you have a jet engine mod, Supposbly thoose are nice ) . Never the less, having tires to match your driving style will certainly make the experience more enjoyable. More over having confidence in the amount of grip and traction you'll have may result in better performance from yourself (alot of driving is all in our heads).

And then theres good old Mr. Sway bar. His effects are quite obvious... Umm less sway,roll and greater stiffness.

In summation, its all about personally preference but my vote is for the tires.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:37 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am undecided on voting for B or C. Sway bars made an incredible difference on my car, I moved up to Welt Stage 2s. Less squat on acceleration, less dive on braking, WAY less roll, stiffer suspension and better road feel (solid bushings, well the few that are there are solid ). I have a set of sport seats that im cleaning up to go into my car. Wires/etc are always a good thing to replace when old. Tires are another area where massive improvements can be made, and an area I need to upgrade in as well.

I think I will stick with D, all of the above If anything, wait on the strut brace. Out of all of that stuff, it could prolly be considered the least "needed".
Old 06-06-2005, 04:47 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

On the flash to pass:

My car is a turbo but I assume it's the same for the N/A's. My fogs will flash-to-pass only when the fog light switch is off.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:50 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

All good opinions here! It looks like most ppl are leaning toward tires.

I do have a Corbeau 3-pt harness waiting to go in, so that should hold me in place. I was just having trouble with how to mount it, because of the way the factory seat belt buckle is attached to the seat. I'm not sure if the Corbeau's ring bolts (I got the snap-in harness) will fit on the seat while retaining the stock belts. Anyway, if I'm willing to live with the beat-up seat, I might be ok with just the harness. I actually have a power sport seat, but it only moves in one direction. I tried to take it apart to fix it and now it's basically trash. lol. Anyone want a sport seat?!

The swaybars would cost about $450...same with the tires. But I can see the tire logic...the swaybars would only improve the grip up to the point where my current tires just won't cut it anymore. But if I went with the ES100's, I could go 225 front (50 or 55 profile???) and 245 rear (45 or 50 profile???), and I should certainly get more bite with those. I've also heard they have a very stiff sidewall.

I may just go for the tires after all.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:35 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say do tires.

Originally Posted by theedge
Less squat on acceleration, less dive on braking, WAY less roll, stiffer suspension and better road feel (solid bushings, well the few that are there are solid ).
Sways have zero effect on dive/squat. When the front suspension (or rear suspension) is compressed together (IE braking/accel), the swaybar just rotates. It is only in cornering where the swaybar acts as a torsion bar and limits body roll.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:42 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adrial
I would say do tires.

Sways have zero effect on dive/squat. When the front suspension (or rear suspension) is compressed together (IE braking/accel), the swaybar just rotates. It is only in cornering where the swaybar acts as a torsion bar and limits body roll.
Yeah, I know. I had a hard time believing it myself, but I honest to god noticed less squat/dive, no other changes at the same time. Beats me, but I wont complain

Either way, the welts made a massive improvement in my car and I have no regrets about the $600CDN I paid for them, definatly a good 20th bday gift to myself.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah. turn your fog switch off....and then flash..they light up!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"(C) Set of 968 M030 swaybars (30mm/19mm)
- The car is all stock suspension-wise, and has small diamater OE sways."

I would go for this mod. It will transform the car's feel and "handling". While out-right performance will be improved with tyres alone, the feel is still the same, just higher numbers. The "feel" will still be floaty and understeering. The body-lean will be higher with stickier tyres. It's like that magazine review about 10-years ago with Mario Andretti picking out the best "handling" car on the market. The Viper won hands down in the "performance" measured tests with the highest numbers of the most numbers of tests; more than any other car. Yet on a points and subjective total, it scored dead last. Andretti didn't like its "feel" and "handing" very much, saying it wasn't an enjoyable car to drive and it took too much brute force to extract those high performance numbers. The car that he picked as the best handling was the F355. The 968 M030 swaybars will give you the biggest improvement in feel and handling. WIth the improved control, you'll actually be able to take street tyres to their limit easier and may end up faster than another configuraiton with stock suspension but sticky tyres.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:54 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

...back to square one. lol. Thanks danno!

Oy vey I'm confused! haha!

Oh well...whichever I decide on, I'm sure it will be better than where I'm at now. I was originally leaning toward the swaybars because my tires have a LOT of life left on them, and I would feel guilty throwing away perfectly driveable rubber.

Quick Reply: Flash-to-Pass = Lights pop up? BONUS: What should I buy???