Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewhat OT - Rental Garage/Workspace needed Silver Spring MD

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 01:57 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somewhat OT - Rental Garage/Workspace needed Silver Spring MD

Hi all,
I just bought a townhome in Silver Spring MD (first time homebuyer). Unfortunately, it has no garage. Currently, my baby sleeps at my parent's house, but I don't want to take further advantage of their generosity. I need to find a rental garage/workspace somewhere in the DC Metro area, preferably close to Silver Spring.

Does anyone know of a good channel to search on this? I've checked Craigslist and have found a few but most of them seem to be the homeowner renting out half of his garage for car storage, not workspace.

I'm wondering if any other Porschephiles have a resource for this type of thing already. I'm sure there are others here who rent a workspace - where did you find it? Is there a searchable online database of garages for rent?

Ideal situation would be to find a multi-bay garage to rent and share with other enthusiasts. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

Paul
Old 05-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Big E
Racer

Let me know if you find anything. I'm in College Park and while I have a driveway, I have no good way of putting up a garage Always wondered if you could rent hangar space at the College Park airport, I've heard of others doing this out west (like, Colorado), but might be harder/way more expensive in our area.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:06 PM
9five1
Pro

First off congrats on the new place!!

http://www.pcapotomac.org/cgi-bin/cl...hoto_size=full

I talked to her a couple of years ago when I needed a place to keep the 914, she is reall nice and should be able to help you out.

Of course if you just need a place to do some projects, and not store the car you are welcome to use my shop, I can park the Boxster in the driveway for a day or two.

~Eric
Old 05-31-2005, 05:43 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the lead Eric, email sent!

Lets pool our energy and get both of our 951's running for the 'fest!
Old 05-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you should mention that....

My business partner and I just did that very thing. We are renting a 24x30 building with a 9x12 office. We're running our business out of the office now, but the work space is strictly for storing/working on our race cars (under construction).

I found this place accidentally. I took a wrong turn on my way home from work and found this place wtih two rows of these buildings and they are perfect for our needs and probably for yours as well (except they are in Houston and you're in MD ). We're paying $300/mo Can't beat that.

Beyond serendipity, I'd start looking around for small industrial parks or small commercial buildings for rent. You might have to find a real estate agent that deals in commercial rentals to help you out. It might cost you a little (or maybe not), but they would be better connected.

Here's our shop:

I've got a problem with Jim Howard and I believe Jim is a moderator here.

I posted something yesterday in the SE-R Cup section and Jim did a hard delete. I have a MAJOR problem with any moderator here doing that just because someone disagrees with them. I can be pretty hard core with some people, but never EVER have I considered doing this. That's not a moderator's job. I'm sure the hard delete was so I couldn't undo it either.

http://members.rennlist.com/geo/
Old 05-31-2005, 06:02 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the info Geo - if I could find something a third of that size for anywhere near $300/mo in Maryland's DC Metro, I'd **** my pants. That said, I think you touched on a great idea in looking at local industrial zones for rental space....and Big E, I have a call into College Park Airport, we'll see how ridiculous their rental rates are.

Quick Reply: Somewhat OT - Rental Garage/Workspace needed Silver Spring MD