Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indy 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 06:50 PM
jjjr944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt H, you left out the other Porsche currently on display for the 500 in the Speedway Museum. Pics I took from same batch as above...
Enjoy

Old 06-02-2005, 08:18 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

If you notice in that Porsche indy car and you harken back to the 80s, youll remember that almost all of the cars had the rims that were flush with the tires like these except for holes for the lugs. I assume this was because of better aerodynamics.

They stopped using this flush style wheel rim probably 8-9 years ago and have gone back to more open-sided rims. Anyone know why? Was it determined that the flush style like on the Porsche actually caused more drag?? I kind of find it hard to believe. The design concept seems to make sense in theory.

Looking for an explanation.

Whatever happened to those curved flip dudes over the front of the rear wheels too, to siphen air over the tires. They were bigger in the 80s early 90.s Now they are tiny and goofy looking. What gives on all of this.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjjr944
Matt H, you left out the other Porsche currently on display for the 500 in the Speedway Museum. Pics I took from same batch as above...
Enjoy

I'll have post one of my photos of that car and it's companion car in action when I get home tonight.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

"As for the race, it is sad that the Indy500 has fallen so far that they need the hype from a woman driver finishing 4th as the only story."

EXACTLY my point, though I didn't make it quite as succinctly. I just found it so sad that what was always a very special race to most people has been turned into a side show. Obviously she CAN drive, she never would've gotten to where she is and would've gotten creamed in turn one if she couldn't handle the car. But my complaint was the way SHE was turned into the "greatest spectacle in racing" by being overhyped, just like Gordon is to Nascar. They're both manufactured for TV and sponsors. And by manufactured, I don't mean they have no talent. I mean they're focused on because of their looks and not always because of their ability. As they say, the camera loves them. We'll see if her talent can keep up with her hype. But in the meantime, we have to put up with the constant focus on them and not hear about other drivers because the producers don't feel they come across on camera as well. I don't watch racing to see charismatic, charming, beautiful people. I want to see the REAL people of racing. I want to see AJ Foyt pick up the laptops and toss them over the wall when they run out of fuel. I want to see the drivers reaction when he gets into a frenzy about a rule violation. I want to see the crew chief pull his hair out because his strategy just got screwed up by another yellow. This was like watching the super bowl and then having interviews with the cheerleaders because they look better on camera than the lineman.

If the only time she can manage a smile is when the cameras are rolling, she's already finding out the difficulty of this kind of gig.

And yes, I thought Lynn St. James was a nice addition to the race a few years ago, as was Sarah Fisher. But I have a feeling they weren't as eager/willing to cooperate with the media hype and do the photo spread that DP did. I think the media really cheapens the racers image when they do that, male or female.

In other words, let me cheer them on because of their superior driving skills, not because she can flip her hair back 13 times during a 30 second interview. My complaint is with the damn media, not the driver. They've essentially just added a laugh track to the Indy, just like a sitcom, and are telling us who THEY think should've won based on a totally different criteria. To me, that makes, what is to me, a very special race, just another media-hyped-all-show-and-no-go circus.

And yes, I may have missed the part of the interview where she acknowledged the winner and other two that finished better than her. I was obviously watching her try to make sure her hair was in good shape for the cameras instead of listening. My bad.

(rant off)

Last edited by Bart; 06-03-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UD, I believe the answer is brake cooling. FWIW, every opening (I mean every) was taped up. Even the holes for the wing adjustments were taped over.

I didnt get to the entire museum, we were on a sort of time schedule, I have been before though, just never with the camera.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart

And yes, I thought Jill St. John was a nice addition to the race a few years ago, as was Sarah Fisher. But I have a feeling they weren't as eager/willing to cooperate with the media hype and do the photo spread that DP did. I think the media really cheapens the racers image when they do that, male or female.

(rant off)
Jill St. John? She was hot in Diamonds Are Forever! Lyn St. James actually was a good driver.

I was going to post my picture of the Porsche Indy car from the one year it ran at Detroit. Can't locate it here so I'll post a different one to remind you of what CART once was. Thank you - TonyF*ckingGeorge for ruining open wheel racing in this country!

I call this shot "Three champs" - each won the F1 championship (twice for Emmo), the CART championship and the Indy 500 (when it was a real race).

From front to back - Jacques Villenuve, Emerson Fittipaldi, Mario Andretti
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I KNEW Jill St. John wasn't correct. Damn! That's embarassing. Thanks for setting that straight. (slinking into corner to watch old Bond movies again.)
Old 06-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott that picture is awesome, was that 94 or 95? Everytime I see photos or a video of what CART was like in the early 1990s it just makes both sad and furious. Sad because it really was some of the best racing on the planet at the time, and furious because of one idiotic track owner's hissy fit destroyed it all.

If FTG really wanted to preserve the open wheel dirt oval track tradition, he could have formed a team... would have been cheaper than blowing a couple hundred million supporting his "league".

Who is Jill St. John? Wasn't the only other woman Lynn St. James? She at least won in TransAm... something Danica Patrick hasn't done yet. I don't think she has even won one automobile race yet, she won a Karting Championship, then finished second in British Formula 2000 or something.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Geo
Race Director

Sorry guys, I forgot to post this. Was working late at the shop last night.....
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Geo
Race Director

Scott, you always have some awesome pix.

Quick Reply: Indy 500