Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance shaft seal collars

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005 | 01:23 AM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Default Balance shaft seal collars

Hi,
do any of you guys know if the metal balance shaft seal collars are include in the Pelican parts kit. I see to recall seeing them in there, but I am not sure if that's what they were.
Old 05-30-2005 | 10:46 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Seal collars? Do you mean the seals for the balance shafts or something else?

I got a 944 engine front seal kit from http://www.paragon-products.com/ and it included seals for the crank, cam, both balance shafts and a few o-rings. Didn't use the cam seal and a few weeks later needed it for my 928. (Yes!)
Old 05-30-2005 | 11:00 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

I don't know if they are included but they are sometimes calle collars. I had to pay extra when I ordered my stuff so I don't imagine they would be in the regular kit.
Old 05-30-2005 | 11:57 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

yes
the reseal kit from Pelican with collars is around $110 bucks.
my kit was also missing (or had the wrong) oring for one of the balance shafts. It is always best to check what you get in the kit before you start working.

dont know what year car you have, but the 86's (not sure for others) have 2 different size seals and sleeves for the camshaft. either small or large is fine. The Pelican kit supplies the smaller seal and sleeve, so dont be alarmed if you pull the larger seal/sleeve off the camshaft.
Old 05-30-2005 | 04:00 PM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Angry

Originally Posted by fezz
yes
the reseal kit from Pelican with collars is around $110 bucks.
my kit was also missing (or had the wrong) oring for one of the balance shafts. It is always best to check what you get in the kit before you start working.

dont know what year car you have, but the 86's (not sure for others) have 2 different size seals and sleeves for the camshaft. either small or large is fine. The Pelican kit supplies the smaller seal and sleeve, so dont be alarmed if you pull the larger seal/sleeve off the camshaft.
I've got the '86 944. so the kit does have the metal balance shaft sleeves. I I know there is the mylar seal and an O ring further in the sleeves are in the housing bhind the pulley. So the Pelican kit does come with it.

I am about to have an arguement with my mechanic. I don't think he used all the seals from the kit. He had to replace the large O ring and the sleeves on the weekend. The O ring was dry and in my opinion should have been changed as well as part of the previous job (belt ,pump and seals). He had to take everything apart again.
The engine was still handwarm when he put the belt back on. Not a torque wrench in sight and not tensioner tool was used.

He did charge for labour, but way overcharged me for the seal.
Old 05-30-2005 | 04:47 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Pelican Front Engine Seal Kit comes with all the seals and flanges.
Belts should not be tensioned on a warm engine.

Quick Reply: Balance shaft seal collars