Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan on early 944

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005 | 08:47 PM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Question Cooling fan on early 944

Funny stuff,

but before you continue to read, I had a look in the other threads and in clark's garage.

Up to now, my sweety did a lot of crazy stuff, few weeks ago I got the reason why, the engine is not good anymore. But now the electronics start to mess and this in a funny way.

The low speed cooling fan is doing whatever it wants. It turns on, off whenever it likes to. The relay is clicking like wild when I come to these temperatures whese this thing should go on or off. And it loves to come on when the temperature is below 100F. So it draw everything out of my old battery, just by fun, when it turned the whole night and next day until I wondered where this noise is coming from in the garage.

So I guess I have to do something, because waking up every hour and check the baby is not what I want to do. I guess its the thermo switch, but I will check the realy tomorrow, have the tools for this at work, but because the relay clicks so wild, I am wondering if anyone has a spare one.

As far as I see in the shops they only have it for the late 944 and this one is expensive, but I the old one is far less complex. So if anybody can give me a hint it would be nice.

Thanks

Thomas
Old 05-22-2005 | 08:51 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Pull the fuse. Or negative battery cable. Or both. It'll save the battery. Just don't forget to put it back in before heading out. This is why I personally recommend disconnecting the - battery lead. It's a lot harder to start up and be sitting in stop-go traffic realizing your temps are going through the roof with that disconnected than the fuse.

Anyway, possible failure items include the temp. sensor in the radiator or the relay itself. FWIW I had one with a bad relay that I was able to actually fix by opening it up and cleaning the mechanical contacts. Maybe yours is the same?

If unsure I'd probably R&R the temp. sensor first - it's about $100 cheaper than a new relay.
Old 05-22-2005 | 09:04 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Thomas has an early model, the fan relay is reasonably cheap - I think I paid $20 at the dealer for the last relay I bought.

The thermofan switch is cheap, too.

I'd order one of each and pull the fuse when every you park it until you get the order.
Old 05-22-2005 | 09:43 PM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Hi Steve,

before I wanted to go to the junkyard on Cliton Hwy, the last time I was there I grabbed a handful of relays (but as you see not the right onw). It sits relatively hidden, so hopefully it's still there and not one of those laying around in the diret in and around the wreck.

But I think the relay should be fine, at least it looked o.k. when I opened it. Tomorrow at work I will meassure it.

Thanks
Best Regards,

Thomas
Old 05-22-2005 | 10:23 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Thomas,

Just make sure you get the same number. I think they are about $20 at the dealer. You should call and find out. It may be easier to just get a new relay.

Quick Reply: Cooling fan on early 944