Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i'm new everyone! (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 11:11 PM
toomanylemons
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'm new everyone! (very long)

so i bought my 2nd 944 last week and just started work on it. its a 85.5 with 78k, and it was an original owner.
the bad-
-power steering leaking like a siv, the boots are torn
-rubber centerdisc in clutch is GONE
-rear hatch glass is been pushed from the inside and is not sealing
-brake fluid practically black
-oil pressure gauge is STUCK on 2bar- doesnt move with ignition off, but the idiot light works

the good-
-very low miles compared to my last car('86 944) which had over 200k
-very very clean BROWN interior, only minor cracks on dash
-white paint in pretty good condition, some dents but i dont mind.
-good tires and previous owner had the "kleen wheels" brake covers on so the phonedials are on PERFECT condition
-found to be a very straight driver with good feel in the brakes(even with terribly dirty fluid) with no strange noises. suspension is in great condition (took it over hwy 74 in southern california)

so i found a manual steering rack online with all necessary parts for the conversion. i will install it tomorrow if it gets here in the mail. i ordered a new clutch(spring center) h4's with 100watt blubs, k&n air filter, and i already have a new clutch master and slave.

right now i've got the clutch almost out (ive done one on my little sisters '87 about 6 months ago) and hopefully all my parts will come soon seeing that they are already late.

and last but not least i have a question, after pulling the timing belt covers off, both the belts are loose but everything seems to be in good condition. i did the whole belt, rollers, tensioners, and WP last week on my sisters car. i wanted to ask if anyone has ever just re-tensioned the belts? it looks like the water pump was replaced along with the hoses, and with only 78,000 on the clock, i should have some miles left. and after all this work, i will be back on the road!!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:26 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Re-tensioning the belt is fine. Do you not have the records from when they were last changed along with the waterpump.

Those two things should make the dececision for you as to belt retension or replacement. Age and mileage. It sounds like you have some insight as to the workings of the cars.

There are arguments as to how frequently should you change the belts. I have seen anything from 15-20K to 35K. If you can do them on your own, I would spend the $55 for new ones and start the clock running from there.

Good luck and posts pics, Sounds like a nice ride!

Michael
Old 05-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know..once in spanish class. i said that if you eat toomanylemons your teeth shiver.
I got written up....for saying toomanylemons make your **** shiver...stupid teacher.

anyway! WELCOME!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome.
The general concensus is that belts are retensioned after 1500-2500 miles, again at 15k, and perhaps at 30k. Many (myself included ) replace them at 30k and start fresh. The belts should be replaced after 4-5 years no matter how few miles are on them. I replaced mine after 4 years with only 14k on them and soon I'll be doing it again with only 6-8k on them, consider it cheap insurance. If you don't know how old they are, it's time for new ones.
Do yourself a favor and search for "light cannons." 100w bulbs are a bad idea with the stock wiring harness and some H4 lenses are better than others. You might want to return the stuff you ordered and go for Iceshark's stuff.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:01 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome!

Quick Reply: i'm new everyone! (very long)