Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

two siple questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005 | 02:32 PM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Default two siple questions

Hi together,

I have two questions with a different focus:

a) My 1st cylinder is scratched and gets not the full compression. This makes everything a little stupid, especially the starting and sometimes idle drops too much when some electrics start. I am thinking of a cheap way to improve this. My plan was to place a second battery to give everything more amps, so that the alternator does not has to run so much. Is this a good plan, this means will it really help or not?

b) Where is the best place to look for a replacement engine, I think I need the block and the head, because after the last workshop visit that it was probably the last time for my head to be worked up (83 - 944)?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2005 | 03:26 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Cool

how do you know the 1st cylinder is scratched?

it sounds like you have and alternator/voltage regulator problem.

no info of where you are but many places will do an electrical check of battery and alternator/vr, at no charge.

rennlist classifieds.

Old 05-13-2005 | 03:30 PM
patrick-87-944
Racer

I just put a complete head on e-bay Item number: 7974569583 starting bid $100
I have the block, but it is not completely taken apart yet. I could ship the head, but not the block.
Old 05-13-2005 | 04:56 PM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Default where are you located

O.K., I am in TN, Knoxville area, so if you are close, maybe we can find a way. I will check your auction. Btw, if you are not too far away, can you send me pictures from the engine and a price, thomas@pinfo.org

I know the thing with the first cylinder, because the workshop showed it to me. I had some running trouble and when they checked the engine no. 1 was clean, so I decidied to open the head to see (and hope) it was only a defective valve, but as a matter of fact, the valves are fine, but not the cylinder.

Working this thing up was to expensive, no replacement engine available, so we decided to fix it in a way I can at least drive. And the workshop was really confused how good it runs, it is really smooth, the problem - starting and the problem I had before (the reason why I turned it in) my idle problem.

I have a stable idle, so far so good, but as soon as the cooler starts it drops by 200 - 300 rpm. Currently I am playing to get a better performance for this drop and I improve this. But from all this came up the idea to put more power in the system.

And as long as I don't have a reasonable replacement engine I won't invest anything more than my work power.
Old 05-13-2005 | 10:10 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Hi Thomas. I'm sorry you're having problems with you car.

What values did you have for the compression tests? You said the #1 cylinder is scratched. Do you mean that there is a scratch in the cylinder wall?

There is a "junkyard" on Clinton Highway (25W) just inside Anderson County named European Import Auto Parts. I got several small parts off some of the 944s they had there a few years ago. Their website is http://www.europetn.com/. They may have a good used engine there.

Have you cleaned or replaced the auxilliary air valve?
Old 05-14-2005 | 02:13 AM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Smile Hi Steve

Hi Steve,

nice to hear something from you. Yep my running problems came from the pre owner. He sold me a car with a wrecked engine. But for this it runs great. The pressure is 100 psi at no. 1 and 160 psi at the rest, I think it slightly improved, this was before the head gasket was replaced.

About the junk yard, good old times, they have only one wreck left and this is in real bad conditions, my luck it's an 83 in white, what a match.

I think I will ask them whether they have an engine. Might be a good idea.

Just one more thing, how could you ever be happy with beam.. im....., I had my car there 3 times and they always did a bad job (they replaced my door lock and forgot to connect the small plastic piece that connects the lock cylinder with the rest, and so on. Seems they were just to busy to take their time.

So I switched to air cooled classics, also knoxville, they are specialiced on porsches, nice to know, and at least up to now they are very helpful.

About the air valve, I am not really sure if it works, but my test with adjusting the fuel air mixture give good results, so it seems to come from the engine.

Hope we meet sometime again, beside the engine the white beauty is looking better and better from day to day, o.k. lets say at least in my eyes.

Thanks again for all your help.

Thomas
Old 05-15-2005 | 01:09 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Thomas, sorry to hear you had problems with that mechanic I sent you to. They always did good work on my car. But about 6 or 7 years ago, I started doing most of the work on the car myself. So maybe they've slipped since then. They do run a very good parts business. If you call them before 3 or 4 pm, they can generally have any aftermarket part for you the next day at prices that are as good as you get through a catalog. Anyway, I'm glad you're happy with the new mechanic.

100 psi is too low. Did you check the compression after the valve job and head gasket replacement?

The reason I mentioned the auxilliary air valve is that it helps stabilize the idle. Also there might be a valve on the car that increases the fuel when you turn on the air conditioner. I think it is on the firewall, but I do not remember if the early models have one.

If you are determined to swap engines, you might consider a 2.5 L engine. I think you could put just about any 944 engine in the car, but you might also have to change out the computer and a few sensors.

Did you move yeat? Send me an email or a PM with your address.

Anyway, good luck.

Quick Reply: two siple questions