Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear 6.5" round speaker walkthrough??? What *exactly* is required?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 02:10 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear 6.5" round speaker walkthrough??? What *exactly* is required?!

Hey gang!

I have had a pair of 6.5" round speakers sitting in my room the past few weeks, and it's about time to get them installed! However, I've heard mixed things about exactly what is required to make them work.

Some people say the mounting points already exist...others say I'll have to fabricate something to bolt the speaker to.

Does anyone have a straight answer for mounting round speakers in the rear location on a late-model 944 (1988)? And if I *do* need to make some sort of a mounting bracket, can anyone suggest and easy way to do this? I'm not all that handy with fabricating things and my tool selection is minimal. Can anything be rigged in a "MacGyver" fashion that might work to mount the round speakers? Thanks!
Old 05-13-2005, 02:30 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There are a TON of really good pics around here on what it looks like and how to do it... search around... There were an awful lot of helpfull rennlisters who've posted the details...

Here's a couple that show what's behind the panels and how I did it (1/8" aluminum sheet backed with dynamat extreme to dampen it)

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/re...ing_lowres.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/94...mall_copy1.jpg

I finished it with a set of the ten speaker option grills...

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/94...mall_copy1.jpg
Old 05-13-2005, 02:34 PM
944SuperCar
Advanced

I mounted a 6x9s in the back wheel well areas like 10 years ago. I made wood covers for those areas that the speakers in which I placed the speakers. These areas are the areas where the stock tool kit is stored and your electric air pump for when you have low pressure.. obviously you won’t be able to use those areas anymore. As a note though, the wheel well areas are PERFECT enclosures for the amount of air the 6x9 or in your case a round 6.5 will need to make good bass. The higher pitch sounds bounce perfectly off the rear glass hatch do drive the sound to the front of the car. The bass will make your chest pound. You wont even need a sub-woofer (unless you want one of those massive boom car systems). I mounted a thin 150 watt per channel amp on the wall in the spare tire compartment with room to spare to leave the spare tire in there. It's a kick’n system and sounds wonderful. I still have my stock speakers by the rear seat hooked up and can turn them on to balance the sound if I wish.

That was my install… I wouldn’t change it for anything else. It’s hidden with lots of power and great sound.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you design / cut the wood backing pieces properly you most certainly can still use the wheel well storage areas. I just put a fresh spare quart of oil in mine yesterday!

I like the idea of the amp / sub in the back spare tire well area. I just picked up an amp and an 18" cone but I think the 18" sub will be just TOO obnoxious. I might look into doing a rear seat delete with a shelf of some sort though. Maybe I could use the 18" bad boy in there if I could get it to look factory and nice, but more likely I'll end up using a smaller sub.

Ahhh. The joys of quality audio. . .
Old 05-13-2005, 02:47 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can fit a pretty good sized amp (JL Audio 300/4) in the spare well and still be able to keep the spare...

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/amp2_copy1.jpg
Old 05-13-2005, 02:56 PM
944SuperCar
Advanced

"If you design / cut the wood backing pieces properly you most certainly can still use the wheel well storage areas."

True... I had actually forgotten, it's been so long. I cut a hole in each piece of wood to allow for a vertical piece of metal that is on each side of the car to poke through and hold one end in place, and I use just one large screw on each side to hold the wood down at the other end. Not the easiest of setups to access the area under the wood but you can still get under there with a screw driver in the car. I'm sure it'd be easy to make it more accessible.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:07 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Those 10-speaker option grills look SEKSI~!

Ok, so it looks like I have to go to the hardware store to get a piece of steel, and cut it to fit. Can someone help me with what kind of steel to buy (just a sheet of galvanized ir something?!) and what possible tools I can cut this stuff with (tin snips?!).

I own a drill and a dremel and that's pretty much it. I'm not all that "hardware savvy." What's the minimum I need to get these little mounting plates made, as cheaply as possible? I can't afford to go buy a table saw or anything like that! That's pretty much all I need help with. Tell me what to buy! lol! What can I say, I'm a submissive (the 944 is my dominatrix!). rofl.

Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:58 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

The easiest stuff to work with is probably 1/4" MDF (home depot, lowes, etc sell 2' x 4' sheets). That's what I used for my door speaks...

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/small_pdoor_copy1.jpg

Cuts easy with a jig saw.. A number of other guys have used that here for the back plate. Just seal it with a coat of paint before you mount it.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/re...led_lowres.jpg
Old 05-13-2005, 04:44 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

What is MDF? It kinda looks like particle board in that second picture!
Old 05-13-2005, 04:52 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Medium Density Fiber board: all home supply stores like home depot or lowes will have it

Quick Reply: Rear 6.5" round speaker walkthrough??? What *exactly* is required?!