Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Job: Bell Housing Bolt, Drivers Side, 9'oclock. WTF? UPDATE!! page 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without all the problems you ran into, how long would you say a job like this took? I'm looking at replacing my clutch and a few other things while I have the tranny out, and I just so happened upon a fully stocked garage with lifts, jacks, etc.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:07 PM
unsigned
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a lift, I could have cut 2-3 hours I bet. I'd say I was around 18 hours. So, a few less issues, and you are under 14. If you strip a bolt then you add time again. I was careful and didn't have tha issue. Everything went together very smooth, nothing like coming apart. I bet the re-install took 6 hours. R&R of the tranny wasn't much time at all, so it depends on your project goals. As I'm sure you saw higher up, the rubber center was gone on my disc. The car dives soooooo different.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:53 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unsigned, Good to hear!! Thanks for all the advice, so the liftless time to beat is 14.5?

I'll be starting mine Fri or Sat
Old 06-09-2005, 11:40 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Unsigned, Good to hear!! Thanks for all the advice, so the liftless time to beat is 14.5?

I'll be starting mine Fri or Sat
If this is your first clutch I think you might want to be more concerned about doing it right than the time involved...many many things can go wrong and we all know we only want to do it once...check that circlip on the throwout bearing very well...it has popped out on other people from improper seating in the groove. At least we get to hear you swear this weekend. Good Luck and Gods Speed. First time I've seen you quoted me in your sig...
Old 06-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
If this is your first clutch I think you might want to be more concerned about doing it right than the time involved...many many things can go wrong and we all know we only want to do it once...check that circlip on the throwout bearing very well...it has popped out on other people from improper seating in the groove. At least we get to hear you swear this weekend. Good Luck and Gods Speed. First time I've seen you quoted me in your sig...

Funny you should say this. MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!

I've seen many a post asking "how long" does it take.
Every car is a different situation, different enviorment of condition, different level of wrenching, tools available, expertise involved. Add the "dinking around" factor (I'm great at this!), and........Heck! Who knows!.......who really cares!..........unless, your paying someone else to do it! Just DO IT! Don't worry, be happy.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:33 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Cool

Kuhl, it's been in the sig line for a few weeks....thanks. Tune into Udate: Denver Fun Run for the bone crushing fun.

So now that the pros are online-- can a late LSD be bolted to a turbo gearbox and work correctly? Any tips on what to watch out for?

BTW, cup clutch is just part of the package. Add Lindsey 3pc Xmember, Lindsey 2pc Xover pipe, low miles KKK swap and hopefully a LSD install. I say hopefully because I have to check to see if it's still in the car and that PO didn't remove it. All this work is just paving the way for engine mods! WUHAHAAA
Old 06-10-2005, 01:52 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ibkevin
...Tune into Update: Denver Fun Run for the bone crushing fun.
Bone Crushing Fun has a certain appeal and sounds descriptive...I hope everyone has a great time. We have yet to see any crashes on our local runs but have had our share of good fun, Keystone Cops chases, close calls, and the 'Lost in the Woods' syndrome. I wouldn't trade a single run we've done for any big event. Good Luck on the clutch job...remember "Patience is a virtue but a big hairy guy with a pipe on a 24" bar can get anything loose while you go get a beer"

Quick Reply: Clutch Job: Bell Housing Bolt, Drivers Side, 9'oclock. WTF? UPDATE!! page 2