Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing my new Corbeau Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Tb311
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Installing my new Corbeau Seats

Ok, I got my Corbeau A4 seats from Eyal 951 today and went to do the install but I ran into a problem. I went to install the passenger seat first and the only problem I ran into was that the seat doesn't slide forward enough to give you access to the back bolts so its a little tight in there. So once I finally got everything bolted down I go to sit on it and try to slide it back and forth but it moves a little bit and then gets stuck, so I look at the rails and found that my heavy a$$ had lowered the seat enough so that the bolts that mounted the seat to the rail are now touching the bolts that connect the rail to the bracket. So since the sun is already down and I can't slide the seat anymore to gain access to the bolts, I give up and go inside to make sure that this doesnt happen on the driver side seat. So basically I now have to grind some of the bolts down so that they will slide once someone sits in them. So for everyone who ordered some seats with the slider just make sure you check the clearance before you install them and save yourself the headache.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:03 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

That would be a "Technical: Installing Corbeau Seats in 944 (944NA/951/944S/944S2 year )"

Really what was the car that you were installing them to? I have been looking at seats and I am sure that others would like to know as well.

Michael
Old 05-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Tb311
Racer

Its an 87 951. I just wanted to post here just to inform the other people who ordered seats in the group buy.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:05 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tb311
Ok, I got my Corbeau A4 seats from Eyal 951 today and went to do the install but I ran into a problem. I went to install the passenger seat first and the only problem I ran into was that the seat doesn't slide forward enough to give you access to the back bolts so its a little tight in there. So once I finally got everything bolted down I go to sit on it and try to slide it back and forth but it moves a little bit and then gets stuck, so I look at the rails and found that my heavy a$$ had lowered the seat enough so that the bolts that mounted the seat to the rail are now touching the bolts that connect the rail to the bracket. So since the sun is already down and I can't slide the seat anymore to gain access to the bolts, I give up and go inside to make sure that this doesnt happen on the driver side seat. So basically I now have to grind some of the bolts down so that they will slide once someone sits in them. So for everyone who ordered some seats with the slider just make sure you check the clearance before you install them and save yourself the headache.
Yeah, that is common. I assume you have the stock allen bolts in there? They are too tall for that application. I went to the hardware store and got some grade 10.9 standard bolts and that took care of the issue. The standard bolts have a lower head profile than the allen ones.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:20 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Tifo,
Is there a certain harndess required for bolts when mounting sets for DE's and / or club racing?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Erik, generally the rule is grade 5 or better for most sanctioning bodies.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:23 PM
smokey
Pro

I had the same problems installing my Corbeau SR1's. Getting full seat travel required putting washers under the bolts under the mounting frame to provide more clearance (shortens the part of the bolt sticking out of the nut), and then replacing the OEM Allen bolts on the floor with regular bolts. With my seats, there is only one sequence of tightening that made it possible to mount the seat in a 951:
1. Install the four Allen bolts that hold the seat to the track, but do not fully tighten them. Put the seat in the car.
2. Move the seat as far back as possible, and mount the front floor bolts , but leave them a *little* bit loose to permit the rear of the seat to be raised slightly. This is the easy part.
3. Loosen the rear Allen bolt in the seat just short of removing it, and leave it sticking out so you can raise the seat to get the clearance for starting the bolts into the floor. Now move the seat forward, raising it to clear the bolts that are not tightened. You may need help in raising the seat and pushing it forward at the same time.
4. Raise the seat to the end of travel of the rear seat Allen bolts and prop it up. Start the floor bolts, and mount *two* on each side if you are using the seat belt mount on the side of the seat track. Getting those second bolts started is a b*tch, but is a must if you're using the belt mount. Also, make sure the bolts are the right length, close to the OEM Allen bolts.
5. Once the 4 floor bolts are started, move the seat to the rear again (you'll have to lift it again to get the bolts to clear each other) and raise and prop up *the track* at the rear to the end of travel for the floor bolts,and tighten up the Allen bolts on the bottom of the seat. A very small 90 degree ratchet with an Allen attachment is the way to go here. The only other option is to cut off an Allen key to be as short as possible. Tighten them right up. Move the seat forward again.
4. Now tighten up the 4 floor bolts. The best (only?) tool for this is a slim 13mm ratchet wrench. Tighten up the rear bolts first so you can get at the forward ones.
5. Now move the seat back and tighten up the front bolts.
6. Go have a brew.

It took me about 16 hours and a discussion with Corbeau USA to figure this out. It's the dumbest design I've ever seen, but with this sequence, and more practice than I've cared for, I can now mount a seat in about an hour. The tools help a lot, but the real problem is that the seat track doesn' t allow the seat to move far enough forward. Dumb dumb dumb. Hope this helps. YRMV. The race seats are shorter, so may be easier to mount. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Installing my new Corbeau Seats