Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The S lives!!!!!11 couple ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 11:06 PM
nathan944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The S lives!!!!!11 couple ?'s

I recieved the new fuse panel today from Todd84944, hooked it up and bam she fired right up. She was a little smokey on the first drive from sitting for so long I would assume, but its gotten alot better...yay for driving without license and reg. All in all it runs and drives pretty nice clutch and trans feel nice. I have a couple of issues though and I would like to get some good ol Rennlist expert advice.

1) This is strange. The car would not start with either of my 2 DME relays. They both start in my 83 but no go in the S. If I jumper terminals 30 to 87 and 87B it runs, but with a good DME relay it just cranks. I know for sure these relays are good, one of which is brand new. I am assuming the 87 S and the 83 use the same relay (part numbers are the same everywhere I looked)

2) Oil leaking from pan gasket, how much would a shop charge me to change this? I changed the oil to Mobil1 15W50 so hopefully that slows it down anyway.

3) car does not feel like it has the power it should. I havent done a full tune up yet (dist cap, rotor, wires, plugs, coil and fuel filter) so maybe that could be it. It does have a fart can exhaust and a cone filter though from the stupid PO, could it be possible that it is robbing it of power, or what else to inspect/replace that could rob the engione of both low and top end?

4) front sway bar bushings = gone, where to get new ones?

I have a few issues on it that is for sure, it is a project car but I am about as happy as a pig in **** that it actually runs and drives. If it can get painted in time it may make an appearance at 944fest. Thanks in advance.

-Nathan
Old 05-06-2005, 12:08 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Good to hear!!!! I will check the sway bar bushings on the parts car tomorrow, and let you know if they are good or not, if you are interested in them. Make sure you take the cam cover off and check the ramps on the chain tensioner. Also, look at the cam sprockets and make sure all of the teeth are there and in good shape.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nathan, as I think someone mentioned before, look at the sensor that we fooled with, if that is screwy it can cause the car to run crappy. Also, go ahead and do ALL the basic maintainance. Definately need to do the fuel filter soon! Throw some new plugs and wires on that thing. ETC. ETC. I'm just glad it runs, post us some pictures.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:06 AM
nathan944
Instructor

I am going to take the cam cover off as soon as the new gasket gets here. Also can someone post me a link to directions on how to clean out the AFM?

Also anyone have and ideas on the issues with the DME relay not starting the car, only when jumpered?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:51 AM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Also anyone have and ideas on the issues with the DME relay not starting the car, only when jumpered?"

You could have a fuel pressure issue. Not enough pressure in the rail/line to start the car. Leaking injector or check valve or something. When it is jumpered the pump is constantly running presssurizing the fuel rail/line before you try to start it.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:44 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nathan944
Also can someone post me a link to directions on how to clean out the AFM?

http://frwilk.com/944dme/afm.htm

If that pad wears out it can get ugly. Welcome to the S ownership.
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2005, 07:17 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

I'd suggest one more thing for a car this age or has been sitting for a while - pull the fuel injectors out and have them bench cleaned. It'll cost like $50. Most places will turn them around in a day or so. the ned result is you have a set of injectors that perform like new.
There are a couple of threads that name a few places that do this, or you can contact any local diesel engine servicing place - they do this all the time, both for mechanical and electronic fuel injectors.

Quick Reply: The S lives!!!!!11 couple ?'s