Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Control Arm Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:56 PM
superman90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front Control Arm Removal

My question may sound like I'm a beginner but when i remove the front control arm do i have to remove the front strut. I'm asking b/c when i remove the control arm should i worry about the spring from the strut poping out at me?

Also does anyone have any pictures for references for the removal?

Thanks

Evan
Old 05-05-2005, 01:28 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. And no, as long as you don't undo the large nut at the top of the strut. For what purpose are you removing the control arm? Bushings? Ball joint? Also it's a good idea to list, in your signature, or the post the year and model. It helps because there are some minor differnces between them.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:43 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Removing the control arm is cake. You don't need to worry about the strut. Just undo the bolt on the crossmember, the 2 bolts that go into the body at the caster block, and the bolt attaching the ball joint to the spindle.

This is after you remove the swaybar, of course.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:48 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Removing the control arm is cake. You don't need to worry about the strut. Just undo the bolt on the crossmember, the 2 bolts that go into the body at the caster block, and the bolt attaching the ball joint to the spindle.

This is after you remove the swaybar, of course.

Good luck.
Serge is right on there, except I have found that instead of removing the two bolts from the caster, you can just remove the 19mm nut on the back of the eccentric stud that runs thru the caster, and wiggle the arm forward and out of the caster, thus not affecting the alignment settings of the car. It takes a little patience to wiggle it out, but it works (much easier to do on a 944 caster, the 968 casters are a little harder because there is less rubber, but you still can). Now, if you are replacing the casters anyway with some new ones (recommended if they are old, they are probably deteriorated anyway), just scribe around the old ones and then try to get it close when installing the new. Be careful not to go crazy on torquing down the bolts on the caster, it is easy to over-do it and strip out the mounts.

Also it's a good idea to list, in your signature, or the post the year and model. It helps because there are some minor differnces between them.
I think he isn't a paid member. If that is the case, non-members cannot have sigs anymore..........

Quick Reply: Front Control Arm Removal