Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im really starting to hate these cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 05:39 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Agreed.

But it's not the age, as 13 year old 911's for the most part still look good and are in good shape.

It's the owners. Maybe not the the current owners, maybe the previous owners that abused/neglected them, but owners none-the-less.

You're right. I should have added that in addition to all of them being over a decade old, they were a lower-market sports car with a prestigious badge on the hood; at some point some people who thought it was awesome just because it was a Porsche got a ahold of them and beat the snot out of them.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rock:

I feel for ya man! I 've owned three 944s (Two NAs and one Turbo), and I can tell you that these cars can be a real PITA to keep running if the PO didn't treat the car properly.

I don't want to sound mean spirited, but since your first post I've been wondering just how long you would hang around.

What I keyed on was your apparent youth (not that being young is bad) and lack of experience with/knowledge of P-cars. Add to that a significantly less than perfect 944 and you end up with an empty wallet and lots of frustration.

Like I said, I feel for ya, and what I recommend is that you take a break from you cars and do something else for a while. Let the frustration subside, get your head together, and then decide what you want to do.

If you decide to bail out, then Happy Landing! If you decide to keep your cars, then we will be here to help when we can.

Peace.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Rock, if you're this upset with an n/a, you're going to be furious with a 951. They are much less reliable, more expensive to maintain, and much harder to work on.

There is a reason why 944s offer so much performance for so little money. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Have fun!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rock;

You need to go buy a beat'r 928. Then you can complain...

Those little turds aren't HALF the headaches as their bigger brothers. Trust me, I own 11 928's currently. I work on 944's for a day off!!

Scott
944x4
Old 05-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock, why did you bust the passenger window that I put in that car???
sorry you are having so many problems, but that is going to be part of owning a cheap old car like everyone else has already stated. 911's can be MUCH MUCH worse, please do not think that they are better as a whole. As one who has seen and worked on both cars, I know that they can both be money pits, it is all in the owner. That yellow car was owned by an idiot before i picked it up for a couple months, I didn't do ANYTHING to it, therefore it is still a mess. everyone needs to cut their losses from time to time, maybe it is time for you to sell one or both of the cars and focus your efforts, sorry the yellow car has been such a headache for you.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:32 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Good vent thread!! I love it...and love all Porsches, but damn, they CAN be the biggest money/time pits!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:45 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rock, I sympathize but...puh-leeeze edit the language. OK?

Don't make me come down there.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:04 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Rock,

My thought when I got my '83 was that you see people putting dollar after dollar into them. I would have liked to have gotten a better example to start w/but if I am going to put 6K into it would I rather pay 6K for the car then drop another 6K into it or buy a sub 1K car and put 6K into it? I chose the the hard way and I know it.

I am however willing to take some time on some things as it is not my daily and can sit in my garage till "I" am ready for the next project. It is not dictating the time and cost of repairs I am. (Control FREAK!)

There is a LONG way to go with my car before I am going to be happy with it but I am still proud of the work that I have done, of course with everyones help.

If you want reliability pick up a 2000 Toyota Corola and drive the snot out of it. Keep the 944 for those days you wanna work on it.

Good luck with "Yellow"

Michael
Old 05-03-2005, 07:13 PM
X 944 X
Instructor

I would say you need a better job, then you can pay someone to work on it if you dont feel like it... remeber, reguardless that its not a 911, not a turbo, not a blah blah blah you typed it in your first statement, its a PORSCHE.... its not a honda, go buy one if thats what your looking for as far as reliability and low cost upkeep. these cars, reguardless of your abilitiy to work on them are EXPENSIVE, thats why everyone in my neighborhood doesnt own a porsche... (i didnt say 911, boxter S or 928, i said PORSCHE) again.. keep saying that outloud and it will dawn on you, what you are driving.. imagine repeating out loud, a 1985 CIVIC... (not to many around is there?) because they are low quality, mass produced JUNK... your statement earlier about a minivan outperforming a 944? id HIGHLY doubt that, i have a 83 that is totally lightened and as much engine work as was worth it before adding some form of induction... I dont know many minivans that can break 140mph, and if so, i wouldnt want to be in one that was going that fast. any day youd like to get a van and run it id sure school you on how to launch a 944 and bring it to its top end speed all in the same session.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

If you had a better job, you would be able to afford a better car to begin with and wouldn't have this headache in the first place.

I've had very good luck with my car. Only time it "broke down" was when the coolant hoses ruptured. This of course could have been prevented if I replaced all of them to begin with. Sure, I put a lot of money into it, but it did has 260k miles and lots of tired parts.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
X 944 X
Instructor

oh and just to clarify, because the net can be taken out of context, I didnt post that with being a jerk in mind, i just take personal offense you saying these cars are all sh*t..... so i offer my appology in advance for a harsher post
Old 05-03-2005, 07:25 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
I am going to have to agree with you sir. The 911's are a superior breed.

I went up to my stepdads car lot because he had a nice red 951 he wanted me to look at. It had 60,000 miles on it. Well I go there, I ask for the keys and he lets me go out and look at it. I get inside and start it up. It starts up and all i hear is the engine rattling like hell. I rev it, and it cuts out before it revs. the A/C switch had failed like always, and the PO stabbed a screw in it to keep it down. It wasnt too bad.

Then he has an old black 1983 911. The thing was beautiful. I went and started that up, and it started right up, i revved it and i heard a deep beautiful growl. The car was a 1983 an had 104,xxx miles on it.
And my 951 started right up too, with 197k miles on it. It has had plenty of issues, and im into it for a small fortune right now (in fact, today I OK'ed $1400CDN in machine work on my cyl head, that includes fixing a sunken intake valve seat and two new valves).

Any car can be bagged on and not last 2 years, or loved and cared for and be like that 911SC.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:28 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

These cars are OLD cars. That means things will break. 95% of the time cheap were very poorly maintained. That is why they are cheap.

That said even a old 944 will run great and be great car if it maintained. Most cars from that age are crap cars and even if you fix them are still crap cars.

I have learned alot from building my 944-spec car. I was built from on an old beat to hell 84 944. The car was ready to go to junk pile. Well I bought it and put alot of work into. Guess what even on the original motor it run strong and is fast. Race prepped it is a fast as race prepped mini cooper S.

Sure it took time and money to repair, but once reparied it is rock solid.

I also have an 1983 944. I bought this car a parts car. Well a little money here, a few parts there, and some work and I have to say it is the best handling $2250 (currnet sale price) car in town. It still needs work to be pretty, but it is solid.

My 88 951 has 124k miles on it run solid. In my 8 years of ownership I have driven it 35k miles and moderate work to do on it. Now it still rock solid and great car. It is faster and handles better than my 2002 BMW 530 and does not give up that much in the comfort department. I ran it 4000 miles as a daily driver with out a hiccup.

My other 84 944 has 80k on it now. I ran it for 13k miles daily and to do the folllowing. Replace waterpump since it was making noise. Nothing else. Oh tires. The old tires busted two valve stems so I replaced the tires. When I started driving it had to repalce the shocks as they had worn form sitting and now I need do motor mouts. I have 15 years on each moutor mount so not bad considering the dry desert air here.

So these cars do require some work, but in the end there are few others car I would bother putting work into. Once these cars brought back to spec they are great. It however you want cheap transportation then screw them. Get a 94 honda and deal with fact that you ars driving a throw away car.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

One more thing, the 84 I just bought starts on the first turn and idles incredibly well - all while leaking NO oil. Of course there are problem areas, but if you're not rich, you must like wrenching to own a 944. Otherwise you'll be miserable.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:40 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just for the records; I personally never said a 944 or any other Porsche for that matter is a POS. I think the turbo cars (including the 911) are just more of a headache if you like to "drive" them a lot and not tweek/fix things all the time. That's been my experience anyway.

Quick Reply: im really starting to hate these cars