Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Leda suspension - 1G cornering on crappy street tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New Leda suspension - 1G cornering on crappy street tires

Went for a second test drive of the new Leda suspension the other night..
Feels incredible!

Stock 951 -89 with stock wheels and 6 year old street tires.
Only mods was the new Leda coilovers and removed rear torsion bars.

This test was done before alignment etc...just straight out for a test drive! IMHO looks pretty good

Old 04-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Love it, my Ledas were shipped this week, and I'm also doing front and back. My 924S track car sporting R-compounds and lots of camber should be screaming through those turns. What weight springs did you go with?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

You realize its impossible to get more than 1 lateral G without downforce? That is assuming your tires have maximum friction (constant of 1). How much downforce does the 951 have? I'm just curious because the lateral acceleration will increase with speed.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
You realize its impossible to get more than 1 lateral G without downforce? That is assuming your tires have maximum friction (constant of 1). How much downforce does the 951 have? I'm just curious because the lateral acceleration will increase with speed.
This may have been true a few years ago - before good tires were developed. It is now quite common for a car with good suspension and good tires to exceed 1.0 G lateral.

I regularly exceed 1.0 G with my Colt on sticky rubber. You tell me how much downforce this $hitbox generates.

However, I am skeptical of the data shown in the above graph. 6 year old street tires are not likely to promote 1.0 G lateral acceleration.
Attached Images   
Old 04-29-2005, 01:25 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Yikes on that 2nd pic!

I'm jealous of your new Ledas
Old 04-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Well, at speeds, you always have some downforce. The air going over your windshield, and such. Imagine a perfectly streamlined car - you'll never reach over 1.0 g, even on the best rubber.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:51 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, a car is more likely to generate lift that downforce - it's shaped like a wing. It takes some work to remove that lift, and even more to get positive downforce.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Well, at speeds, you always have some downforce. The air going over your windshield, and such. Imagine a perfectly streamlined car - you'll never reach over 1.0 g, even on the best rubber.
No. Not sure where you learned about vehicle dynamics or tire dynamics. Most passenger cars actually exhibit lift at higher speeds.

As for rubber - there are tires that have been manufactured for years that permit lateral forces well in excess of 1.0 G (without the aid of aero downforce). It is in the micro mechanics of the interface between the tire and the road that makes this possible.

At Formula SAE each year there are cars getting better than 1.4 G at the skid-pad competition. The radius of the skid-pad is something like 25 feet. The speeds are very low. There are a few cars that use aero devices to generate downforce - but most do not. This is all mechanical grip between the tire and the "road".

You may want to do your homework on this.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

$1750 for the kit for 944s doesn't seem really that bad of a price. Now I just have to go hump my boss' leg for a raise to get sharp handling like that
Old 04-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always wondered...how does the Gtech know your RPM? The rest of it's data I imagine comes straight out of the accelerometer in it, but the RPM's confuses me.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:10 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

I *think* it pulls it out of the ripple on the cigarette lighter power
Old 04-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Coefficients of friction over 1 - that is new to me. The vertical force on a car is the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force (mass x gravity). Whenever your lateral force is greater than this vertical force pushing down on the car, the car will lose grip. Could you please explain this phenomena to me? Is there a "glue" effect between the tire and pavement.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:28 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Coefficients of friction over 1 - that is new to me. The vertical force on a car is the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force (mass x gravity). Whenever your lateral force is greater than this vertical force pushing down on the car, the car will lose grip. Could you please explain this phenomena to me? Is there a "glue" effect between the tire and pavement.
This is where you prove to your physics teachers that they don't know anything about cars. there is no friction involved. Tires use mechanical grip. If you take a tire, and cut a cross section out of it, then put it on a road surface and put a bunch of weight on it, you will see that a tires rubber conforms to the road surface and mates with the roughness like a cog on a gear. When a tire has a hard compound it doesn't lock as well to the ground as one with a soft compound and produces less grip. But what about when a tire skids? A tire is breaking chemical bonds when it skids.

If you get some prof. waxing allegorical about how friction doesn't have anything to do with area politely raise your hand and ask him why drag racers and F1 cars need big tires.

cliff's notes: grip != friction.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

As mentioned above - it's not glue - it's conformation to the irregular surface. The more accepted term is "mechanical keying".

There is a very good book on the subject: "The Racing & High-Performance Tire" by Paul Hanley.

In Mr. Hanley's book there is a table of friction coefficients. Rubber on dry glass has a Cf of 2+. Now wouldn't that be something if we could race on glass?

There is theory and there is practice. In practice - theory does not always hold up.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 01-11-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And a very interesting article on the subject a month or so ago in Racecar Engineering magazine

Quick Reply: New Leda suspension - 1G cornering on crappy street tires