Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inside rearview mirror assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005 | 02:37 PM
gotpsa
Track Day

Default inside rearview mirror assembly

The ISRV mirror fell off. Is there a secret to removing the metal disc or is it just pressed into place? I want to make sure that there is not a screw or trick before I start prying.

Thanks,
Ron
85/1 944
Old 04-28-2005 | 03:13 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

I just replaced mine with a $15 universal replacement from the local PepBoys. It looks just like the original.
The mirror just slides up and out of a bracket attached to the circular disk. No screws, but it was pretty tight. I remember it seemed to go easier after I started wiggling the mirror left and right. Sorry I didn't take a picture before picthing the old parts.
It was scarry trying to pop the circular disk off. I tried getting under it with a razor blade, but no dice.
I had actually decided that I was going to try to pry off the little stainless bracket that the mirror slid into (it looks like its just spot welded on in two places) but leave the circular disk on the windhield, then just glue the new disk onto the old one.
I put a screwdriver into the bracket (from the top) and started prying on it with the blade against the disk, and the entire disk poped off, with relatively little force. I guess the glue has little resistance to a straight pull off force.
Old 04-28-2005 | 03:17 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

OK - I just re-read your original post. I'm assuming the circular disk came off the windshield, and now you're looking to remove it from the mirror so you can glue it back on.
No problem - just pry the disk toward the bottom of the mirror. It should be raltively easy. You'll see that the mirror has a pin that engages into a little bracked that's attached to the disk, but basically, it should slide right off.
Old 04-28-2005 | 06:26 PM
gotpsa
Track Day

Thanks for the help - with renewed confidence, I grabbed onto the disc with a pair of needle nose pliers and snatched it out. Thanks.

Ron

Quick Reply: inside rearview mirror assembly